1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set-up question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by acheriff, Jun 14, 2011.

1. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    I've seen some similar threads on this line of questioning, but just want to make sure I do this correctly.

I have a SWIM LNB attached to a 8-way splitter. I have one feed going to an HR24 in my bedroom. At that same location I have an Apple TV2 that is somewhat flaky based on the fact that it is at the edge of my wireless range.

I'd like to make use of the wired ethernet at that spot. It seems to me there are a couple of ways to do this.

One would be to add a DECA at the HR24 and then attach to an ethernet switch which would feed both the HR24 and the Apple TV.

The other way, which is where I'm leaning, is to use a two-way green label splitter with one leg going to the HR24 and the other going into a new DECA. The ethernet from that DECA would then go into Apple TV.

If the second scenario is right, my questions are:

1. Do I need an additional power inverter at that location?
    2. How do I terminate the coaxial output of the DECA?

Many thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your first "idea" won't work as I read it. The HR24 won't power a DECA, as it has its own internal.
    Your second will work and yes you'll need a PI for the DECA.

You could use this that comes with one: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...upply-(DECABB1R0)&c=Satellite Components&sku=

Or you can use one of these: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DECA--(DECA1MR01)&c=Satellite Components&sku=

AND you'll need one of these: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DER0)&c=Satellite Components&sku=874409002374

3. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

To my surprise, this did not work. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I took the SWIM feed that was going into my HR24 and attached it a green-label 1x2 splitter. I plugged one output of the splitter back into the HR24 and one output into the DECABB1R0. I then took the enternet output of the DECA and plugged it into the Apple TV

The HR24 worked fine for programming, but no longer was on the DECA cloud, even after a re-boot. The Apple TV also did not seem to be on my LAN.

Weird. It was as if the outputs of the splitter were no longer carrying the ethernet signal to either device.

I realize now that I did not reboot my router--maybe that should have been tried?

Also, does it matter whether the power passing leg of the splitter is used for the HR24 or the DECA?

Thanks!

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It doesn't matter about the power passing leg, as there isn't any DC.
    Not sure why the HR24 dropping off the cloud.
    Do make sure the splitter input is pointed towards the dish/SWiM.
    On the BB DECA are LEDs, are they all green? The cLink monitors the DECA signal.

5. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    Yes, the LED lights on the BB DECA were all green.

Odd....

I'll make another run at it this weekend.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Green shows the BB DECA has locked on to a good signal.
    Maybe it's time to post your whole setup, to get a better idea of what you have.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It may be that the outgoing DECA signal isn't surviving the loss of passing through the 2-way and then through the 8-way.

You might try powering one leg up and leaving the other powered down until after a connection is established.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    After peeking at my ignore list, it wasn't as misguided as I expected, though still "off the mark" here.
    If the added splitter was causing too much loss, the SAT signals would show this first because they come out of the SWiM at much lower power and are at higher frequencies than DECA.
    This is kind of the beauty of DECA. If there isn't a problem with the SAT signals, there isn't too much loss for DECA.
    The only time there was a post about good SAT signals AND a problem with DECA, it was because the 2-way splitter was connected backwards.

9. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    I know a picture or sketch is in order here, but I'm first going to try a verbal description of my whole set-up and then I might work up the motivation to do the schematic.

--Sat with SWIM LNB to green-label 8-way splitter.
    --From the splitter I have one run to an HR20 (with DECA)--that run also has the power inverter, one run to an HR22 (with DECA), and one run to an HR24 (without deca)
    --Also connected to the 8-way is a run from my BB DECA (CCK) which is being fed ethernet via a switch that is, in turn, connected to a D-Link 655 wireless router.

That was my baseline. I then modified the set-up by adding the green label 1x2 splitter at the end of the run to the HR24. One output went back to the HR24 and the other went into another BB DECA in order to output ethernet to an adjacent Apple TV.

If you can follow all of that, you are truly heroic.

Perhaps a picture to follow...

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That setup should work just fine. Just make sure that you are using green label splitters and that they are oriented correctly. Also, make sure that all unused ports are terminated.

- Merg

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I too think it sounds like it should/will work,
    The coax length using an 8-way with a 2-way shouldn't exceed this lengths:

[​IMG]

12. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Hmmm.

I had never thought of being able to use the coax cable MRV "cloud" as a bridge for carrying internet traffic. i.e with a DECA/Connection kit on the upstream side (attached to the home's broadband router side of things), and another DECA on the downstream side attached to something other than a DirecTV receiver.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    MoCA which DECA is based on, will do this fine. Since it's bidirectional, there is no "up or down" stream either. :lol:

14. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    There's a reasonable chance that the run from the 8-way splitter to the two-way splitter exceeds 50 feet.

If I understood your earlier post, though, exceeding that length is more likely to manifest as sat signal loss than ethernet loss, right?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since the SWiM is at the LNB [normal setup], the distance is 100' total.

16. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Understood. I just used that terminology to try and be clear on what I was describing.

As I had my house network strung out with Cat5e to the places I wanted it long before there was ever a DirecTV MoCA based network solution, I already have internet where I want it, including at 2 of my 3 TVs, so I never really needed to think of this bridging options before now. My knowing it's there now, may give me future options to ponder...

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just be aware that doing that sort of setup puts regular LAN traffic on the DECA cloud, which is exactly the opposite what the DECA cloud is meant to do. Will it have adverse effects on your network or MRV? Maybe not, but it could.

- Merg

18. acheriff

acheriff Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    If I ever get it working, I'll let you know :).

My thinking was that for something like Apple TV, I'd be in control of the LAN traffic and wouldn't try to do MRV and Apple TV streaming at the same time.