1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Setting A Static IP Manually On A HR44 Is A TOS Violation"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by adamson, Jul 28, 2013.

1. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    LMAO, right from the mouth of my fine installer. I gave him 10's on the phone survey too. He has worked for Mastec two years now. I did inform him that he is wrong. Im happy my attic stairs were spared some extreme weight. :evilgrin:

2. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    My installer (Multiband) and with 6 years on the job said I could not use the wired ethernet, I had to use WI-FI, using the wired connection will make it burn up. Gotta love the weird things they come up with.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'll bet in the OP's case Mastec forbids installers to assign static IPs (which should be the case), and the installer assumed that applied to customers as well.

I say that should be the case because a well-intentioned installer could either choose a conflicting IP or one inside the router's DHCP range and cause all sorts of home network problems for a non-technical customer.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I bet that's what it was. I've heard some doozies in the past when someone doesn't understand something. In college, I actually was almost put before a disciplinary hearing for putting links to yahoo.com etc on the homepage for the computer lab systems I handled, because it was a copyright violation as I didn't have written permission.