1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Remote to RF question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Codeman00, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I just had (3) HR24 DVRs installed yesterday. I set the bedroom and living room remotes to RF without issue and also a third remote for "slaved" TV in another room. However, I cannot set the fourth HR24 remote to RF using the same method. I'm always forced to reseting it back IR via the front panel so I can use the remote control. One interesting thing to note is all of the remotes that did set to RF without issue were RC65RX. The one that didn't work was an RC65.

Is there any logical reason why I can't set the third receiver remote to RF? Is there any work around to get it to work?

2. Asheville Hoo

Asheville Hoo Cool Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    It is possible they didn't give you a 3rd RF capable remote? Is there a FCC sticker on the back? If not, then the remote won't do RF. Otherwise, I haven't any ideas for you. You could always try a test with that remote to one of your other two DVRs or vice versa to prove this.

Good Luck

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. The model number of the remote needs to have an R after the numbers to be RF-capable.

- Merg

4. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Well that sucks. All 3 remotes were right ouf of the boxes of new HR24s..and one remote was different. Strange. You are correct, the RC65 doesn't have an RF sticker on the back. Thanks for your help.

5. Asheville Hoo

Asheville Hoo Cool Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Were you planning to use RF for all 3 boxes? If one room is more suitable to IR than the other then use the "bad" remote in that room and reset the other two to the other two boxes. Otherwise, I guess you will have to call D* or your installer to get them to get you a RF capable remote. They only provide them with DVRs or HR boxes, but in your case they were. I guess somebody was dozing the day they loaded your box. Sorry.

FWIW, I was excited when I got my setup just a month ago, but frankly I ended up setting my remote back to IR because the RF seemed a little flaky and would miss button presses even though I am in the same room, only a few feet away from the box. It generally worked, but there were more "misses" with RF than with IR so as not to frustrate the rest of the family I put it back. We have always had IR only in this room anyway so it isn't like I am going backwards, just not forwards.

6. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm just partial to RF because you can control the receiver from under a blanket, etc. I'll keep on the look out for missed button clicks and flakiness...too early for me to know that because I haven't had enough time with DirecTV. Good to know I should have got an RF remote...I might call DirecTV and have them send me one.