1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Setting up my DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by NateCohen, Sep 10, 2011.

1. NateCohen

NateCohen Cool Member

Feb 18, 2007
    DVR is a HR22-100

I recently switched to Verizon Fios...but I kept my DirecTV so I can have Sunday Ticket.
    Anyway when Verizon came they of course disconnected my DirecTV to hook up the Fios.

The satellite dish is still on my roof and the wiring is still setup.

I have some pictures and just want to get some advice from you guys for the easiest way to set this back up.

Just would like to know the setup I have.
    I just need one run to my room to get the DVR setup.
    Luckily for me the wire from the dish goes right by my window so I can run a wire from the dish to my room.

What's the easiest way to get this setup?

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There looks to be a contradiction here.
    You have one coax from the dish, it looks like, and you show a SWiM PI next to your DVR.
    Now you also show the Zinwell WB68 with four coax connected to the inputs.
    These are two completely different systems.
    You'll need to find where the coax comes down from the dish "first". Then we might be able to sort this out for you.

3. NateCohen

NateCohen Cool Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Ugh what I think happened was the Verizon Techs took the SWM splitter and replaced it with their own.

There used to be a different splitter in its place before.

Is there a place like Radio Shack I can go to to buy a new one for the SWM setup?

Attached Files:

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're only going to connect one receiver [DVR], you don't need a splitter.
    Take the coax from the dish and connect it to the coax going to the location where you have the receiver. Connect the SWiM PI and then the receiver to the PI [MAKING SURE to NOT connect it backwards].

5. NateCohen

NateCohen Cool Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I got it!

Thanks for all your help!

Now I can enjoy some football tomorrow.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd like to know why the Verizon techs even touched the DitecTV lines?

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If I were to guess, the Zinwell WB68 and it's 4 input coax runs are probably remnants from either a former Phase III elliptical dish install or (less likely) a legacy SL-5 LNB on the current dish.

These were then mistaken as relevant by the OP and posted along with photos of equipment from a later SWiM install.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It seems the Verizon techs. wanted to leverage the previously installed coax runs from the former SWiM splitter to whatever rooms they go to inside the customer's home by feeding the coax output of the ONT carrying the FiOS service into them.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That seems reasonable if the customer weren't still using the DirecTV lines.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    They must of thought he didn't want DIRECTV service any longer since in one of the photos they appear to have disconnected the single SWiM line from the dish and capped it with a 75 ohm terminating cap and left it hanging loose right there near where they replaced the SWiM splitter with their own.