1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up System at Home to use only IPTV, no cable or sattelite

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by rmedeiros, Apr 10, 2011.

1. rmedeiros

rmedeiros New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    How can someone set-up their system at home to eliminate the need for satellite or cable television and use only antenna and iptv?

2. Wilf1367066123

Wilf1367066123 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, obviously you need an antenna and a broadband connection. The broadband can be either wired or wireless. The Roku box is highly recommended for interfacing the TV to the broadband, and is inexpensive - $60 to $100, depending on the version you get. You will want a subscription to Netflix streaming, at $8 per month (first month free). There are other services - some free - some paid, probably none as good as Netflix. Since we subscribed to Netflix, we rarely watch anything else.

Paid TV without the ads, the way TV should be.

That's about it.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You would need to build an HTPC (Home Theater PC) as that would be the only way to DVR OTA unless you bought a Tivo and then used a Roku or similar box to stream IPTV that the Tivo can't do. Overall an HTPC would be a lot cheaper and no monthly fees. You'd use WMC which is free and built into Windows 7 to DVR. Could also use SageTV but that costs extra $$$.

Personally I have my OTA antenna hooked into my HTPC and I get a couple dozen stations for free, most in HD.
    Netflix is $11 a month (I do streaming and Bluray discs 1 out at a time), would be just $8 a month if all you want is streaming.
    Hulu is free.
    Stream from any website in the verse for free.
    ESPN3 is free.

Total cost per month with no cable/sat: Cost of Netflix ($11). And we get 98% of what we want to watch, just missing some live sports in HD but I can still get them streaming from eastern Europe or Russia if I really want to. :)

There is a Windows Media Center forum here with some threads on HTPC's already. Would be the best place to ask questions.