1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Setup for RV and my H24 receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cmalberto, Jul 31, 2010.

1. cmalberto

cmalberto AllStar

Jun 15, 2007
    Since all my home equipment(except for the HR20) has been redone(ie...SiWM) my old RV setup needs some attention.

I have an older single LNB Sat but realize I can 't use it to get many channels anymore. So my question is what do I need for my RV setup now. I plan to use my H21(or is it a H24 - another question I have on another thread) in the RV since it travels easily. I am not interested in any of those on top of the roof systems. I want to be able move it where ever I can get to the sky.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

--Mickey

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 18
    Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    First off, do you have an HD TV set in the RV. (Depends on the age of the RV or if you've upgraded). If not, the single LNB will provide most channels you will need (101 Sat). I use the Slimline with SL3 SWM LNB connected thru the cable input in the electrical bay with my HR22. I have the PI powered by the block heater outlet in the same bay. I have an AB coax switch in the entertainment center so I can use the rooftop dish for short stops. (Again, SD only)

I am going to try to set up a Phase III dish with the SL3 LNB just to get to a smaller dish.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 18
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
  4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 18
    Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    If you dont have an HDTV in the RV, or are fine with SD only, your current 18" dish will work fine, and receive nearly all of the SD channels in your package. You will need to redo the satellite setup and choose Dish Type: 01: Round (18"), and Switch Type: 02 Multiswitch.

Good Luck!!

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 18
    cmalberto

cmalberto AllStar

Jun 15, 2007
    I guess this really should have been my real question of whether my existing Single LNB dish will work. It sounds like there are still plenty of channels on the 101 and that my receiver will have no problem accessing them. This should still be sufficient.

I still have only an older pre-digital TV - I do have a converter box for my locals that I will have to share RCA plugs with but I am ok with that.

I do plan to replace one day with a small LCD but I haven't anything I like small enough - At this time I probably won't replace therefore I don't need HD .

Thanks for ALL of the comments and recommendations.

--Mickey

6. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    What is the Phase III dish? Is it smaller and easier to move around?

7. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    What is the Phase III dish? Is it smaller and easier to move around?
    Its the 18x20 dish, or multisat. Its designed for the 101, 110, and 119. But some people put a SWM LNB into it and use it for camping etc because yes, it is smaller.

#)

8. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Where can you find one And will these pick up local channels?

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Solidsignal, eBay, Craigslist etc. as long as you are not in an MPEG4 market and you are in or close to your spot beam, you will be able to pick up local channels

10. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    I guess I ask alot of questions but what is a MPEG4 market and do you just install the swm lnb on the phase III dish arm? I am trying to get a smaller set-up for my rv.

11. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Also we live in sw Idaho and when we go to the Washington coast I can pickup our locals there with the regular slimline dish. It's just a pain to pack. If the phase III will work what do you set the receiver on as far as dish in the setup menu?

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    MPEG4 market is a market that requires HD equipment to receive local channels because those channels are on the 99 or 103 satellites which only HD equipment can "see"

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the same as you would if you were using an Slimline

14. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Just one more, do you install the swm lnb on the phase III arm? I really appreciate your feed back. It helps to know there are good people left out there that will help stupid people like me. Thanks again.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No;

It cannot be simply installed on a P.III dish, The SWiM LNB was not designed to fit it.

You're going to have to come up with an improvisation to install it on the LNB arm.

Here is the main thread on the subject beginning back in '08 if you are interested;

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/131362-experimental-small-slimline3-dish/?hl=%20experimental%20%20small%20%20slimline

Hope you are in a great mood for some reading, as its over 462 posts long :)

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All of this is not worth the trouble for what is gained....

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I do not recommend trying to put the HD LNB assembly on a phase III dish - it is not as easy as it sounds, and it can be somewhat more difficult to align than a slimline. Where you are in the country plays a big part in that, and my experience with it is in the north-west. The Phase III dish is only slightly smaller than the slimline, so there is not that much gained in that regard.

This document provides a lot of information about different dish types and models: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish,%20Multiswitch%20and%20Cable%20FAQ.pdf

18. JohnQ

JohnQ Cool Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Freshwater...
    Just an FYI (and I do NOT have a financial interest!!!!), I have found this website to be one of the BEST Price Points ( http://www.tvformyrv.com/ ), easiest to use customer centrix, i.e., pleasure to do business with. I bought my Winegard Trav'ler Slimline 3 from them cheaper with free shipping ($350+++) than any of the Fleabayers/Camping World/etc. Highly recommend them.