1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup Trouble

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by golfboy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. golfboy

golfboy New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Okay, I've got an HR21 running to an SL3PIG-3 dish, 2 RG6 lines, no multiswitch and no B-band converters. I've set up the dish to the coordinates listed for my zip code. I purchased one of those cheap signal meters from eBay and have it hooked up by the dish and it's powered by the receiver.
    Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be any power to the meter. When I boot up the HR21 by pressing the red reset button, I watch the meter as it the receiver boots, up and the meter receives power for 30-60 seconds while the TV screen shows "step 1 of 2: checking satillite settings", but then it powers off again. It appears to have a pretty good hit on the satillite for the short time it's on - the meter goes up to about 80/90% with the dial set about half way.

I have configured the receiver for dish #17 - Slimline -3S (SWM), switch type defaults to 01:SWM and whenever it boots up it says tuners:single, but I've switched it to Dual repeatedly.

This is my first attempt at setting one of these up myself... anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2. deboxer1

deboxer1 Mentor

Oct 24, 2007
    If this is a swm lnb you have, do not use the receiver to power the meter. You need a single port power passing splitter and the power inserter to align a swm odu. The power inserter goes on the power passing leg the meter on the nonpower passing leg , the lnb gets the power from the power inserter.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If there are two coax lines connected, it is not a SWM LNB. Try dish type 03:Slimline-3. You will also need to use two BBCs with that setup.