1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Several boxes not seeing any (or all) networked DVR's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 996911, Sep 29, 2013.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I have 3 DVR's in the home (2 HR24s and 1 HR34).

In addition to the DVR's, I have 3 non-DVR boxes (2 H25s and 1 H24).

I have verified all boxes are network connected and all internet connected. Further, all, show under status "Whole Home: Authorized."

2 of the 3 DVR boxes and 1 of the 3 non-DVR boxes all have complete playlists consisting of shows from all 3 boxes and under status show a complete networked DVR's listing.

The problem is with 1 of the DVR boxes (HR24) and 2 of non-DVR boxes (H24 and H25).........

H24 doesn't show anything. The playlist is empty and has no networked DVRs listed.

H25 #1 shows only 2 of the 3 DVR's listed in the whole home status of networked DVR's and the playlist also reflects this incomplete list.

HR24 #1 shows only 1 of the other 2 DVR's (doesn't see the HR34) listed in the whole home status of networked DVR's and the playlist also reflects this incomplete list.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this? I have had nothing but problems (with the incomplete playlists) since day 1 of the install 4 months ago when we moved into the house. If I do a RBR, most of the time it corrects the problem but I can't be doing this every single time. It should just work.

Appreciate in advance any thoughts, advice, input, etc!

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are the ones with issues on one side of the SWiM-16?

3. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    5 of the 6 boxes are on 1 leg and the 6th box (HR34) is on the other.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This looks like a follow on to your earlier thread.
    I'd reboot the receivers starting with the Genie.

5. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    VOS....I heard you talking already in the back of my mind :) Already powered down ALL receivers and then fired them back up 1 at a time starting with the Genie, then the 2 HR24's, then the 3 non-DVR boxes.

Here's the status of the boxes (standby.......)

H24 that didn't show anything picked up all 3 and then a few minutes later lost one with the "basement guest room has become disconnected from the network" message on the screen.
    H25 that didn't show all 3 DVR only picked up 2 of the three
    HR24 didn't pickup 1 of the other 2 DVRs

This is so infuriating. I am moving all my recordings to the Genie as it seems at least everybody is picking up that box and then I don't have to worry about incomplete playlists. But that still doesn't solve the problem of the various HR boxes falling off the network.

6. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Now right in the middle of watching a recoded football game, the H24 now gave me the message "this receiver has become disconnected from the network". In the menu it shows network: connected.

REALLY FRSUTRATING TRYING TO WATCH A RECODED SHOW WHEN IT KEEPS DROPPING!!!!

7. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    I had a similar problem a while back. After trying the usual things, I pulled the power from the swim. (And then reconnected, of course.) Things have gone swimmingly since then.

8. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Checking the MVR sharing control on each.

Run Restore Network Default

And like the above post stated. Pull the power on the SWiM-16.

9. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Restore Network has already been done. No change.

SWM16 power is up next.

Just irritating that these systems can just work as they should.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I can't think of any reason powering the SWiM down and back up would do anything.

After the go round in the earlier thread, I might want to check all the coax connections to make sure they're snug/tight.

11. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I'll get new cabling installed and see if that works. Hoping that's it. I actually have the theatre company that did all the prewire and subsequent install coming over Wednesday so i'll have them check all the cabling ends.

12. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Quick question though........

If the connections aren't perfect then why would I only lose connection to the network but still get 100% of my programming signal?

13. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    VOS.....not wanting to jinx the solution, but I think you might be on to something with the cabling issue. I thought I was going to have to wait until Wednesday to get cabling inspected. I just found a box of extra cabling they put together for me "in case" I ever needed it. I just R&R'd the RG6 from the H24 to the wall (behind the TV on the wall) and have had zero issues since. The RG6 line behind there was pinched tightly at a 90 degree angle where the back of TV meets the cable going into the wall.

With that said..........
    I'm not sure how that affects the connection of all boxes that are also experiencing the same issue that clearly don't have cabling issues.

14. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They're electric gadgets. Dozens of things can screw 'em up. It is not quickly knowing the fix, that causes the irritation.

15. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    It's when technology doesn't work that causes the frustration. Life was so much simpler when we didn't have this technology :)

16. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    The RG6 line behind there was pinched tightly at a 90 degree angle where the back of TV meets the cable going into the wall.

One trick to make sure this doesn't happen again is to remove the barrel from the wall plate, pass the internal cable through the hole, and then reattach it with the barrel on the outside of the wall plate. This is what I did in my daughters room where the coax was preventing us from pushing her bureau flat against the wall.
    #)