1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe audio dropouts on new MPEG4 channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jacobp, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacobp

jacobp Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move this as appropriate.

I've noticed on at least two different MPEG4 national channels (FOX Business and FXHD) that I am getting very frequent audio drops. I've seen this while watching the recording of Damages and Nip/Tuck. What I've also noticed is that if, right after a drop, I hit the Replay button, the audio comes across just fine. So it appears that the audio is being recorded, but it is not being played back correctly.

Any thoughts?

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Your profile doesn't specify your location. It could be a regional problem, or with your dish alignment. Running latest software?

3. jacobp

jacobp Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Sorry. I am in the Washington DC area. And the audio dropouts were occurring both before and after the latest CE release for the HR20-100 that was downloaded on Friday night.

4. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    market. Only get drop outs if inclement weather that is severe. In past it was firmware issues.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I doubt it could be regional as the mentioned channels are conus. If your signal strenghts are good on 103b I would try a menu reset.

6. jacobp

jacobp Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    I have tried a menu reset to no avail. My signal strengths on 103(b) are routinely mid 70s to mid 80s. Any ideas? Could it be that the DVR is bad?

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Not sure this could be a problem, but all my Transponders are in the mid to upper 90's. I think most people have reported here that theirs are higher also. I doubt the DVR is bad as I would think it would affect more channels.

8. Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    My HR20-700 does the same thing. It appears to only happen if I am watching live TV. If I hit replay once or twice, so I am watching the buffer, the audio is ok. I am in Southern Calif., so it could be a national issue. And my transponders are in the 90's.

9. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I have audio dropouts and artifact issues on many of the new HD channels as well as the locals (not OTA). Some channels are much worse than others. I found the Cinemax channel 520 to be the worst for me. I watched the MGM-HD channel and had zero issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.