1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFS Tuner 2 after DECA install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by jrmichael, May 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jrmichael

jrmichael Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Anyone have any ideas why I would be getting SFS on Tuner 2 after installing the deca adapter to an HR20-700? Not getting this error with the adapter on the HR21-200.

Neither SWiM LNB nor SWS-4 are green labeled. I have BSF plugged directly to SWS-4 from LNB feed line. PI for SWiM is connected to Power passing port of SWS-4.

Signal is high 90's on 101 and 103 and high 80's on 99 without the DECA adapter.

2. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Not sure if this applies but when DTV put the BSF between my SWm16 and my dish, I lost signal on all STB's. Pulled them out and everything worked fine. Try pulling you BSF out.

AG

3. jrmichael

jrmichael Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Does anyone know if the SWS-4 MUST be green labeled?

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    For DECA, it needs to be wide band, not necessarily green label. From DIRECTV,they generally will have the green label.

5. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    According to the Connected Home Participant Guide the SWM Splitter must be green labeled.

I doubt that is your issue, though. The beta testers of DECA did not have green labeled splitters.

Try swapping the DECA units to see if the problem follows the DECA unit or stays with the HR20-700. Also, are you sure it's not an HR20-100?

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The green label is not required. I peeled the one off mine, and it still works. ;)

Seriously, it just needs to be wide band. DIRECTV slaps a green label on them, but there are other sources for them that will not have one.

7. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    As a Beta tester, I just installed a generic wide band splitter from Ultimate electronics and it is still working with no problems. Diagnositcs from both the H24 and HR24 show lots of signal strength with no hint of any problems.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Must"? no.
    Today some tests were done with old & new [green sticker] splitters with little to no change in the DECA performance.
    As to your SFS, it would seem to be cable related most likely.

9. jrmichael

jrmichael Legend

Dec 14, 2006

I think you may be right that it's a cable issue. DECA is performing great even with the tuner SFS.

Thanks for all the reply's.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "If" the bandstop was connected between the SWiM and the dish, it should be removed. I can't believe, but have read several posts, that installers are so stupid [sorry but I can't find another term] to put any there.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Dang, I completely missed the part about between the dish and the SWiM. :nono:

Mike

12. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    My installer said his supervisor said that was the correct place to put it. I could not understand why to put any filter between the switch and the LNB. Fortunately, when nothing worked, he agreed to try it without the filter and it worked.

Of course, this is also the installer that wanted to put a BBC on my H24-100.

AG

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    But theres no training issues, remember. :sure: :lol:

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Remove the BSF's.

I had my DECA install earlier today. Left my 2 year old SWM in place, added his 8way splitter with no green dot (removed my 4 way splitter) and installer adding BSF's everywhere because his work order said to do so. Of course nothing worked right with them. Sat tests failing all over the place. He called his supr for help and also insisted BSF's were required.

Printed out this chart for him from RobertE at
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=175094
    and showed him no BSF's required with HR20's, HR21's and HR24's in my home. Removed the BSF's and voila, everything working perfectly.

He appreciated the chart said he wished his training had covered that.