1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SG-1 Renewed for Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dfergie, Jul 17, 2003.

1. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I Understand that next weeks TV Guide reportedly says that Stargate SG-1 will air again next year. :)

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Welllll.....I have mixed feelings. I love the series, but let it go...end the series before it dies a slow, painful death.

See ya
    Tony

3. Frank Z

Frank Z Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    Cool! Now if they they would just release the Season 4 box set....

4. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm happy. It is one of my favorite shows. Keep it going as long as they can keep the quality high.

5. dlsnyder

dlsnyder Godfather

Apr 24, 2002
    Supposedly there is another Stargate movie in the works with the original cast. Has anyone heard anything about that?

6. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    If this is true it would be truly amazing. After their weak-kneed lukewarm support of Babylon 5, their total backstabbing of Farscape, and endless abuse of not remotely sci-fi movies from the USA Networks film vault, it would be a good sign. I only hope that the whole Vivendi Universal dealings in the background work out to the advantage of sci-fi viewers and we not end up worse off.

7. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Coming in September...............

8. jeffr

jeffr Cool Member

Aug 21, 2002
    The current season seems to have a new breath of freshness to it and I can see them squeezing another year out of it just because of that. Hopefully more!

9. benjaminmarle

benjaminmarle Legend

Jun 7, 2002
    They did seem to hint at a movie with the cast on Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown.

10. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Shanks return must have inspired the writers because it is MUCH better than last season, when they seemed to be doing more story driven shows and less action and effects shows (which tend to be the most fun).

One thing I didn't like was the DS9 ripoff they used with the Go-auld-less Jaffa who have to take a drug to survive. Seemed a little to Jem Hadar for my taste. Ditto to the premiere where Jack blows the reactor in a Death Star like assault on a mothership. It WAS fun, but it pulled me out of the show when I saw the glaring similarities.

11. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. SG-1 is probably my favorite Sci-Fi series of all time. Even more so than any of the Star Trek series. Deep Space 9 I found to be downright boring.

Right now I'm watching Season 3 on DVD and have purchased Season 1 and 2. It's fun to start all over again from the beginning of the series with episodes I haven't seen in 4 years. Luckily my mind can't remember that far back so watching each episode is like watching it for the first time. :)

The other great thing is that the producers had the vision enough to film everything in 16X9 so the DVD's are all widescreen anamorphic with Dolby Digital 5.1

12. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I, too have just been rediscovering my love for this show with the Season 3 set. I just watched the "Foothold" episode last night which had lots of great plot twists and action scenes. On the whole, the team is made up of the perfect blend of pure intellect with a tree hugger bent (Daniel), an intelligent military character who also knows Science (Carter), a supposedly dense wiseass Colonel (O'Neill) with a James T. Kirkian ability to come up with a workable solution from unorthodox means, and a stoic warrior (T'Ealc, or however you spell the name) with a perfect deadpan delivery of jokes in the most unexpected spots.

Even the DVD extras have been fun, with the actor (affectionately known as Technician in the scripts) who has had numerous name changes with a thankless part (Chevron 6 locked!). I especially like Amanda Tapping's breaking of character to deride RDA's lack of ability to get them out of a ice tunnel (C'Mon you're freaking McGuyver can't I give you a stick of chewing gum and you get us out of this?).

Season 4 Box Set drops in September...... we don't have to wait 9 months again like the Season 2 to 3 delay.

13. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I understand that as well as SG1, the new series Stargate Atlantis will premiere as well next summer.

14. Kevin G

Kevin G AllStar

Jul 3, 2002
    While I do think that SG1 has lost a bit since moving to Sci-Fi, I do think this season is better with Michael Shanks back, and am happy to see it return for another year. I just hope Sci-Fi is willing to put out more money per episode to get the special effects back up to par.

One main reason why I like SG-1 and why it's better than a lot of Trek (which I also am a fan of) is that it doesn't shy away from conflict between main characters. Especially Jack and Daniel - and the fact that the show doesn't paint one side completely right and the other completely wrong really brings out the drama.

That character conflict was a main reason why Farscape and Firefly are sorely missed.

15. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    The new season so far has had some good episodes. the last one "LIfeboat" was excellent.. Stargate has created an interesting universe of possibiities. which is why I think it could go 9-10 seasons without a problem.

They have created some problems, they've sort of really messed up the Gould by giving Anubis to much power. I think they've killed off too many interesting Tokra characters. They messed up the replicators. Wiped out the Tolan..

However they still have to resolve the Asgaard cloning problems. The still have to find the City of the Lost. (the lost City?) And they could create a Gould comeback. The advanced race from 2001/2010 could re-appear and be menacing. There are still many possibilities.

16. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Plus, if we harken back to the time O'Neill had the knowledge of the Ancients in his head, the Asgard mentioned an additional race no one has met yet (Furlings)

But I agree about Anubis, someone will have to put the whack out on him so the Go'aould can go back to infighting. The whack will have to be done by the Ancients, because if SG-1 finds the City of the Lost, they've just got weapons to defend against the Go'aould and what would be the fun in that... end of series.

17. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    They could still have fun with it and not upset the balance of power (The City's weapon might only work against an Anubis like alien or Ancient, it might have an unstable power source that oops, fails after one use....

The possibilities are pretty wide open.

All I know is that I start to see my interest fade in a show after the 5 or 6 year mark, and this one just keeps hooking me week after week......

The boxed sets are great because I've found that I missed about every fourth show from the 3rd and fourth seasons (this was before my PVR cured me of that affliction).

18. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I noticed it a long time ago, but does anyone else think that the m.a.l.p. device on SG1 has a direct tv dish on it with a single LNB. I think it needs at least dish 500, the new superdish or the direct tv oval dish:)

19. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor AllStar

Aug 18, 2003
    I enjoy this show too! I agree that Anubis has been around too long. The infighting was more interesting.

Does anyone else think it's strange that our weapons (bullets) seem at least as effective against the enemy armor as all the advanced technology the others have. They can't outdo our bullets? Surely with their technology they could come up with effective body armor that would stop our bullets. They can't always count on force fields.

No one seems to have a weapon like a machine gun. Those staffs may be powerful but are large and clumsy to use. Oh well, it leaves room for change. Still a fun and interesting series.

20. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Well from the season Finale, they appear to be creating some sort of Anubis comeback with that super soldier. they appear to have created what you wished for Bob, pretty invincible armor. Though the bullets are supposed to be armor piercing teflon types if I had to guess. However we'll have to wait to see what develops..