1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SGU, other Syfy dramas moving to Tuesdays

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Wire Paladin, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    Are you ready to rumble.:( From Gateworld

Syfy Channel will move its Friday night dramas to Tuesdays starting in October, the network announced this week.

Stargate Universe, Sanctuary and Caprica will air on Tuesday nights, where the network has had great success in the summer months with Eureka and Warehouse 13, its two highest rated original series. SGU and Sanctuary air in the fall months, Caprica in the winter. SGU then returns for the second half of its season during the spring.

The reason? Syfy has picked up … wait for it … WWE Friday Night SmackDown, one of the many professional wrestling shows that seem to draw big viewership for cable networks, particularly among the coveted young male demographics.

2. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    :bonk1:

:bang

:grrr:

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    And the idiocy at the "SyFy" channel continues...:nono2:

4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Hey, 'pro' wrestling IS 'fiction' and some of the wrestlers look as dorky as some of the aliens on the SyFy's B-class 'science fiction' movies...

So it makes horrific sense...

5. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Just so long as it's Tuesdays and not Mondays and I think my DVRs will be able to handle things.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So the next step is SyFy/WWE network .. Not that it isn't already, just that the name will actually be changed.

Just record it on Tuesday nights and watch it on Friday .. Simple solution :)

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    This may turn out to be a good thing.

Friday night has traditionally been the death slot as the favored demo is usually anywhere other than in front of the tv.

By moving the dramas to Tuesdays, it could boost the live ratings some. Which is a good thing.

The demo that follows WWE, pretty much doesn't have money and/or a girl to be elsewhere with on Fridays, so no loss there. :grin:

8. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Thinking about that ... seems like some of the aliens were played by pro wrestlers too! You may have something there. :rolleyes:

9. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well the only good I see coming out of this is that maybe if a network say like Fox puts another sci-fi type show on friday nights it won't be competing for audience with the Syfy friday night line-up and maybe just maybe might have a slightly better chance for survival.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Because sci-fi geeks are out partying Fridays with their girlfriends?

The great CBS show The Big Bang Theory isn't a reality...dorks like that never have a shot at girls like Penny. :lol:

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    If they play on Tuesdays then they will be playing with the Big boys, and thats not going to be very good as my DVR is booked out on Tuesdays.

12. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I have the same problem. I record all the CBS shows in addition to Lost, V, Parenthood and my wife records Biggest Loser. Plus there are the other cable shows from TNT, USA and FX that appear during the year. I can record 4 shows at a time with our 2 Tivos. Of course you can always record the Syfy shows in the later repeats.

But I agree, Tuesday night is getting crowded

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If they put forth some shows that could compete, it wouldn't matter what night they were on. Watching Caprica is kind of like watching window glass sag.

14. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    My Tuesday DVR night is very crowded. I'll have to record the re-broadcasts of all of them. And of course, my Friday nights will be very light indeed. :nono2:

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I've tried to figure out this move. I don't know what the Fall-Winter Tuesday lineup will look like. At one time I thought the last thing NBC needs is to have its NBCU cousins competing heavily in prime time. But apparently USA just bolsters the bottom line at NBCU. Maybe NBC itself will become reality and the best of scripted cable.

Still, SyFriday did have a ring to it. Oh well.

16. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    It seems the name change triggered more changes in Siffy (Syfy) than those program moves to Friday--as we had all expected. WWE is back on Friday nights starting in October, at a pretty high cost to the network, to grab the 18-34 male demographic as stated here: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36698985/ns/today-entertainment/.

17. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Yes Me too. If it weren't for Smallville. I'd be recording nothing on Friday. I forsee conflicts on Tuesday Since I have many other things set at the "primetime" also. :(

I am liking SGU now. The reboot was a major improvement.

18. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    Reminder! SGU starts tonight at 8/9c!

19. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Is this a zombie thread?

Did anyone see the posts on facebook last week from Syfy? It was hillarious. They put up a bunch of WWE posts and within less than an hour each had a hundred or more comments about what a bad idea it was to push those shows. Nice job targeting their core audience!

20. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Why would it be a zombie thread...

it is 5 months old, and most of us have adjusted our DVRs already.