1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sharing article on sports costs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Satelliteracer, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
  2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't have a membership there.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't have a subscription either. And I hate sports.

Perhaps DirecTV will find a new way of hiding there outrageous "regional sports fee" like they did the DVR and HD fee ("advanced receiver fee").

"Deluxe program channel surcharge"??? :mad:

4. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006

I love Milwaukee...miss going to the State House, Goolsbys, Buck Bradley's, etc. Good times.

The Regional Sports Fee was just put into circulation by FIOS and will becoming to others as well. Outrageous, well I would say necessary. Things like $7 billion for the Dodgers for local rights is going to drive fees like that. I'd also note that the Advanced receiver fee for DIRECTV is applied to the whole house, rather than per box. So if you have someone like Time Warner or Charter, etc, you pay a dvr fee per dvr. Just my two cents.

Now I'm going to go to sleep thinking about Leon's and Kopp's frozen custard. Grrrrr. :)

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    It's so much fun being charged extra for something you didn't want in the first place. ;)

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
  7. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    Does FIOS let you opt to not receive the RSN(s) and not pay the fee?

8. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    This is the latest language in the FIOS offer.

"Offer for new FiOS TV and Internet residential customers subscribing to a FiOS Triple Play bundle online. Promotional rate applied via $25 bill credit for 24 months; beginning month 25 standard rates apply. Price guarantee applies to base monthly rate only; excludes optional services. Rate may increase after 24 months. 2-year agreement req’d. Beginning month 2, up to $230 early termination fee (w/ $10/mo. prorated reduction) applies. $2.42 Regional Sports Network Fee, & other fees, taxes, equipment charges & terms apply. Activation fee waived via bill credit. Subject to credit approval & may require a deposit. FiOS and FiOS Digital Voice available in select areas. Actual speeds may vary. Battery backup for standard fiber-based voice service, FiOS Digital Voice, & E911 (but not other voice services) for up to 8 hours. "

9. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    I think that gets into copyright issues. I'm trying to see if another source picked it up.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    With these extra fees, does this mean we'll finally get CSN-Houston, CSN-NW and CSN-Philly?

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You still have to deal with Comcast, which is problematic.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    also need TCN-Philly to go with CSN-Philly.

What about pac12 Regional college Sports Network fee?

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I wouldn't expect directv to just start piling up the rsn fees. They will add more but they can't let it run away. That would not be a good selling point. Remember, these fees are not optional. They are transparent but still locked in.

If they could get comcast or the PAC 12 to go optional (and more per customer then), they'd probably do it in a heartbeat. But all want to be basic. Adding multiple fees won't save them.

14. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
  15. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
  16. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    At least Verizon gives Philadelphians an RSN to pay two bucks for. Thanks for the note..

17. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    are you from the SOUTH SIDE of Milwaukee.. since you mention LEON'S?

18. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    No, but let's just say I spent many good years in Cream City.

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The comment I find interesting is...
    No wonder they are fighting so hard on the recent contracts (PAC12 comes to mind).

Mike

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I've always seen programming as having channels like puzzle pieces in a box that make up the total cost of programming - at least until ala carte surfaces some day in the future - or else as a separate package, much like the Extra Pack is today.

With sports programming being among the most expensive, having it segregated for pricing would seem to make some sense, especially for those who don't prefer to subscribe to it.

How this all unfolds should be interesting.