1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping Charges for Cancelled account

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tpntx, Oct 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tpntx

tpntx New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    After 10 years of spotty service and unpleasant customer service I have cancelled my service with Dish Network. Worst company I've ever dealt with.

So now this new policy were they want to charge for returning their equipment, I completely disagree. I have no card on file with them so if I use their shipping labels all the can do is send me the bill.

As far as those who do have a card on file. Why cant those people just block DN from further billing or cancel the card and have a new one issued.

Does this solve the problem? I don't know yet but at least it removes the control factor where they just do what the want. I look forward to the bill I receive in the mail. We'll see who can wear who down first.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You entered into a contract and the contract currently prescribes a fee for the return of equipment on a canceled account. The time to leave was before the revised contract went into effect.

Putting in a stop payment doesn't change the fact that you owe DISH money in accordance with the contract you had with them.

3. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Also, is your credit rating really worth the $15...?

4. gokartergo

gokartergo AllStar

Jul 8, 2011
    If you don't agree to the $15.00 charge.. Then you can ship it to them any way you want. But it will probably cost you more then the $15.00.

5. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    10 year customer, one post here...? I'm sure this is a legit complaint by a angry customer...but on the surface it just seems weird.
    No offense intended though.

6. tpntx

tpntx New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    with 4 receivers it will be more than 15.00 and I will be surprised if it shows up on my credit. If it does then I will contest it. This wasn't part of any agreement I ever signed.

I found this site searching for info on this new (to me) issue. Thats why after 10 years I only have 1 post.

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Too bad you can't just drop the equipment off at a local Dish retailer.

8. tpntx

tpntx New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree Michael and like I said before this at least this take a little of the control from these people and perhaps changes it from a my way demand to a negotiable issue. As I also said we will see who wears who down first.

If you're going to bend me over it will have to be by force not just by telling me to bend over.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    When I dropped my satellite internet, they sent boxes via FedEx Parts Return Program. Boxes came to me free, I removed and packed the electronics and sent it all back to them free to me.

I'm still waiting for the $100+ check though that they will be issuing to 'buy back' the electronics.

10. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If you are referring to Starband, it took me 12 weeks to get the $100.00.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The $15 per receiver is less than UPS/FedEx charge for such shipping. This has been Dish Networks policy for several years now.

The only way I know to avoid paying $60 for 4 receivers is to drop 3 of them off your account before you cancel, then wait intil they are shipped and received at Dish to cancel so yo only pay for the return of one receiver.

12. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    If you purchase something on-line and return it, who do you think pays shipping? Heck, I've seen cases where you had to pay shipping both ways for an item sent in for warranty repair. In most cases you have to pay at least one way to get a warranty repair. If you would have gone through a local dealer you could have just dropped them off to the local dealer. Shipping charges are the costs you pay for doing business on-line and not from a local brick and mortar.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Adding to HobbyTalk's post...

You probably didn't pay shipping to get your receivers originally... that was your free shipping... to get signed up. When you are closing the account, why should Dish (or any company) give you free shipping?

14. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Keep in mind it's $15 per shipment, or per label, and only of you terminate service. I called Dish and told them I was dropping from 3 receivers to 1. They arranged shipping of the 2 receivers back to them at no charge. Then I called and cancelled the account which only required one $15 fee for one receiver.

Also, previously, I was able to properly pack and ship 2 receivers in one box and pay only one $15 fee.

15. BernieL

BernieL Mentor

Oct 30, 2009
    I cancelled DISH and sent back the receivers & remotes a couple of weeks ago. They provided one box for two 211s and another for two 211Ks. I checked first what it would cost me to pay UPS directly to ship the two boxes. It was $11 for one and $12 for the other. I paid UPS since that was less than the $15 each that DISH wouk have charged. Dish acknowledged receiving them within a couple of days.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Because the cost (and more) included in your monthly fee. Don't worry - the company did that.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Says who?

My monthly bill doesn't say it includes "free shipping for whenever you cancel"... so I have no reason to expect it.

It might be nice for Dish to provide free return shipping... but I can't see any basis for an argument that it should be required. You are a customer that is leaving... by definition that is not a customer that Dish has been able to keep... so why would they give you a parting gift on the way out?

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Kicking you in the teeth is a better incentive to return someday?

19. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    There is a more serious issue than shipping when cancelling E* service. I hear they expect you to return the LNB. If your dish was installed on a roof and you fell off trying to retrieve the LNB there could be a serious liability issue for E* (unless they saw the light and dropped that dangerous and silly requirement).

If a professional installed your dish a professional should uninstall it and take back the receiver while they are at it.

20. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    My Neighbor dropped DISH for cable and his LNB is still up on the roof.

I know the cheap prick, if his choice was to pay or return it, he would have been over to get my ladder.