1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should Directv give you 2 boxes with no mirroring or rent fees?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JoeTheDragon, Aug 27, 2010.

1. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Should Directv give you 2 boxes with no mirroring or rent fees for box 2?

Most cable co's only give one and this something that can make them stand out.

2. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Interesting idea, but they make too much cash on the mirroring fee. I doubt we will see this go away anytime soon.

3. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    Without a poll I say yes!!

Mirroring/Lease fee is crap.

4. nevea2be

nevea2be Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    What is the mirroring fee?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They also probably made a lot of money on the HD Access fee.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's the same as the lease fee, but charged to owned boxes.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It should appear on your bill as a "Leasing Fee". In short, this is the fee $5.99 per receiver) DirecTV charges you to have programming on an additional receiver.

My answer is YES, do away with mirror/leasing fee's on a second receiver. DirecTV could go as far as to have a # of free receivers in a given package.

Choice gets 1 free (no different than today)
    Choice Xtra gets 2
    Choice Ultimate gets 3
    Premier gets 4

This type of system (in my opinion) would encourage customers to look at going with a better package or possibly invest in additional receivers.

8. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Kind of irrelevent at this point. The fee is firmly entrenched as part of the cash flow equation, so if it goes away as a lease/mirror fee it will just pop up somewhere else.

Perhaps removing it could draw enough additional customers to offset the revenue loss, but I doubt it. "Free Lease/Mirroring Fee for life" just isn't a sexy come on like "Free HD for life".:lol:

9. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    They'd just charge more money elsewhere. My suspicion is that DirecTV would like to go to the Uverse model with only 1 DVR and non-dvr slaves that access the recorded program. This would replace the mirror fee with multi-room viewing few. Technically this is a terrible idea and the limits caused by a single dvr and many - but another discussion.
    As much as we see fees come and go we will pay more and more for service.

10. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    I know a number of people with only one TV. Having a free mirroring fee on a second receiver would be of little interest to them. It might, however, convince them to accept a second receiver at no cost even which would be of no benefit to Directv.

11. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    This should be removed especially now. DirecTv is not the only company pushing HD

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Why are stupid irrelevant questions allowed? We can't change Directv policy so all this will do is take up forum space.

13. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I not saying drop the fees all together just make box 1 and 2 have no rent or mirroring fee.

14. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    You must be the ONLY one being charged $5.99 - EVERYONE else is charged $5... :confused: :confused:

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Of course they should give us two receivers for free.

They should also only hire athletic twenty-something girls dressed in blue bikinis to do their installs.

16. Dave DFW

Dave DFW AllStar

Jun 11, 2008
    DFW Texas
    I think allowing an extra receiver with a higher programming package might interest many people. D* has had this so long that their policy is unlikely to change.

17. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Yeah, but they'd always get stuck at their first install of the day. "Can you show me how to work the remote again?"

18. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Really?

Don't think that the potential to influence D* policy, by starting discussions here, exists?

Hmmm...HD free for 24-months for current subs. Only after I saw threads complaining about "dissing current customers" here, did it become available.

I also saw numerous threads about being forced to have SuperFan for HD, in past seasons. Now, it's included.

Did THIS forum force those changes? Of course we don't know...but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

BTW...Glad to see you're a DBSTalk Club Member that helps pay for forum space. :rolleyes:

...and yes, perhaps as an incentive, they could consider waiving one or two more lease/mirror fees as part of a premium/sports bundle, etc.

19. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I never even thought of that, it's actually a really good idea and makes sense.

20. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    When I briefly left DTV in 2001, I told the CSR on the phone that I was leaving because of the mirror/lease fees. I also told her I would be willing to pay a little more upfront for a receiver if I could get rid of those fees. So I think it would be great if they got rid of it; especially when I'm paying for an additional 5 receivers. I have 2 additional rooms that could use TV's, but I haven't added them there because it's not worth the extra $10 a month.

I also think they would also add a fair number of cable subscribers if they took this approach. I’m sure for some people it’s hard to justify going to DTV when they realize they have to drop 5 for every room they are currently getting for free with their analog cable.