1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should DirecTV offer a Marathon of its On Demand?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by APB101, May 24, 2013.

1. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Comcast did it not long ago. Now this weekend it's being offered by Verizon FiOS.

Verizon Kicks Off Free ‘On Demand Marathon’
    Memorial Day Weekend Binge-Fest is FiOS TV’s ‘Biggest Free Event Ever,” Verizon Exec Says

By Jeff Baumgartner (05.24.2013)
    @ http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/verizon-kicks-free-%E2%80%98-demand-marathon%E2%80%99/143477

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    DTV on demand is always free.

3. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Only for channels that you already receive. The Verizon "Marathon" posted seems to show that subscription channels that a customer doesn't subscribe to are included.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Good point

5. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    When a premium channel or package is on a free preview, the on demand component of those channels are also available.

6. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Agreed, but the article states that only the on-demand content is free during Verizon's marathon...so this is a somewhat different situation.

I'd be surprised to see D* do this, since for them, on-demand is more of a secondary feature. They might prove me wrong one of these days though, once they get a few of the kinks worked out and watching instantly works a little better for more of the population. It's just different though, since with cable or Verizon Fios or AT&T U-verse the on demand is being delivered via the same "stream" that delivers all other content. D* has to rely on your internet connection...which they have no control over.

7. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Unless FCC changed their rules, it's my understanding that Verizon (and all service providers) cannot arbitrarily give away contracted/subscription programming, even if it's online..they must negotiate this "free marathon" with all the paid programming providers (either by paying for it in advance, persuading them to waive all fees, or some combination). Or, perhaps VZN was already allowed by contract with those providers to make such an offer and given unlimited access to the online content. Just saying..

-=K=-

8. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    No.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I like brevity, but what is your "No" linked to?

10. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Just dont like on demand.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I don't understand why not. Even though sometimes it says the connection isn't fast enough, I can start a recording, go to the refrig, and come back and watch it without a problem. There's lots of on-demand that I don't have to record or didn't record.