1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should GREEN toggle between the top and bottom of the playlist?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Jul 26, 2012.

Should pressing GREEN jump to the top or bottom of the playlist?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Other. Explained below.

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My unified playlist is getting so long, at times, it would be really helpful if I could express to the top or bottom of the list. Looks like the GREEN button is not currently assigned to anything while the LIST is on-screen, so I think it would be handy to re-purpose that button as a top/bottom toggle.

Curious what others think. TIA.

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    This little enhancement would sure be a step in the right direction of making long playlists more manageable.

3. skinnyJM

skinnyJM Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    DFW DMA
    I have often wished the green button would go to the "To Do List".

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought the color buttons were going away?

5. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Except for the red button, you are correct. And that is just one problem with the simplified remote. I'm certain that they won't be doing any more enhancements that depend on the color buttons as they, as a feature, are being phased out.:(

...otherwise, it is a very good idea.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If by that you mean at some point they won't continue to work at all on current remotes, then ya... no point in adding a GREEN button to the playlist for a short time.

But if color buttons are only going away on the new remotes, but continue to work on remotes that have them, there are probably millions of HRs with the old remotes out there. So as long as we continue to see the current RED/YELLOW/BLUE playlist options, would be nice if they could add GREEN for this purpose, IMHO.

Only asking, because it probably wouldn't require a whole lot of engineering effort.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    FYI, although not what was asked, the channel +/- buttons will scroll one screen at a time with the LIST displayed, same as with the GUIDE displayed. Too bad it doesn't go to the top once the bottom is reached like it does with the GUIDE.

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    They are going away, period, for all remotes. The only fast way to move down or up the list is using the "channel" button. That will move one full screen (about 5 shows, I think) at a time.

9. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the colored buttons (and would love to see shortcut features with them.) Unfortunetely, D* has shown a propensity to keep things "uniform" over the years. I just don't see them adding this type of feature given the fact that the new remotes do not have the colored buttons.

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Generally you can't have a color button do different things at different times. Well, I mean shouldn't, not can't.

With four colors and Playlists, Guides etc, to be useful to people it should have consistent operation across all screens. So if it does as you propose, it should do it everywhere. And of course in the Guide, it won't be very useful.

But if the buttons are going away, never mind.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I like the idea of the Green button but it may also be useful if you and do this too. I'd like to be able to wrap from the beginning to end.

The green button would be nice to get back to the beginning from the middle of a long Playlist.

I have the HDNet Test Pattern at the end of the playlist and it's a pain to get to so it would help with that too.

I like both ideas. A wrapping Playlist and a method to get from anywhere in the list to the beginning/end.

Mike

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree with you on that part...and I suspect it could be done relatively easily.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. That was on the Wish List forever, as you can see by the example shows we used for the original request. :p We never got it, tho. :(

"Continue to scroll the cursor to the bottom (or top) when reaching the top (or bottom) of a list or menu pane. E.g., move from "Aiwa" up to "Zenith" in the remote code list, or "Zodiac" down to "24" in the PLAYLIST."

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Then again....never isn't here yet... :D

I suspect more of these kinds of improvements/revisions are under consideration or planning...just not available yet.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah we couldn't even get them to do LIST>LIST for the TODO list, nor can we get them to give us a PIP toggle for the HR34 Oh well.. :(

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You're likely correct, but when? We're still seeing the RED/YELLOW/BLUE button tips below the playlist.

I'm not saying they're going to do it, but one option DirecTV does have is to display those tips and allow the color buttons to continue to work in the future, if a receiver doesn't sense it's being controlled by one of the newer remotes.

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I like the green button idea more than a wrapping list but given the colored buttons are going away, good luck, Steve. Another great idea of yours to be ignored.

If that's the case, I'd take a wrapping list.

It is an issue that needs to be addressed. I've been doing a project copying a bunch of stuff that's at the end of my list and it is a chore to get there.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OMG, yes! I've now got 22TBs of capacity and it takes so long to get to the bottom of the UPL, we usually give up. That's the idea that would solve my problem with the UPL.

Rich

19. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm not saying what I said with any enthusiasm, believe me. I'm just going on what those "in the know" have said openly in several other threads many times in the last six months or so.

We lost trick play while the PIG is up. I hate that, as it was one of my most used features. We are going to lose the colored buttons. (and they could have been enhanced to be even better). I don't like that either.

They could change their mind(s), but I wouldn't bet on it. Very few of the interface requests/suggestions, etc. have been implemented lately. They seem to have their own "plan", and don't seem to be letting any other facts or preferences get in the way.:)

20. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    When this functionality is going away, well, no one knows (at least no one here). The existing functions will likely stay for a while, but don't expect any new development of functions using these buttons. It's a very good idea, but it won't happen.