1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be charged a sevice call for this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mobouser, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Hi all, I was just charged $70.00 for a service call where the outcome was a diagnoses that my HR20 had a bad tuner. The service rep first checked my satellite and the connectors outside to see if I had trouble with them. He did some stuff out there replacing terminators etc. But he ultimately agreed that I had a defective MPEG4 tuner. D** has since replaced the defective HR20. I have 5 months on my lease and I thought I was good for a year with the standard guarantee. I don't have a service contract but I now see where this may be handy if this charge stands since D** has probably changed my contract a couple of times since signing on. Soon I can see people being charged when you call a service rep I guess it all comes down to profit for shareholders. I am rambling but needed to express my feelings. Thanks Paul D.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, you should be charged.

3. Knon2000

Knon2000 Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    What was the situation when you called? Did you call Direct TV, with issues?
    What was said to them while working with the phone rep. What troubleshooting did they do with you before placing the call for service?
    I know from personal experience that many people just don't want to bother doing the troubleshooting, and was wondering if that was the case here.
    Seems kinda weird that they didn't isolate the problem to a bad tuner when doing the troubleshooting with the phone rep.
    Pretty simple to diagnose that problem.

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Unfortunately, as soon as the tech comes out, it's $70 for that visit regardless of whether the outcome is, as in your case, replacing something that should have been replaced for free. Hence, the value of doing as much troubleshooting yourself as possible with the help of people on this board before calling for a tech visit. I recently had a tech visit but only after I had my HR20 replaced and checked every other possibility folk here (especially VOS) could think of.

5. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    My aunt had a bad tuner. I did all the troubleshooting possible, swapped BBCs and lines. When we talked to DirecTV, I explained that I swapped lines and BBCs, and that the only possible issue could be a bad tuner. We had 0 signal on all ODD transponders on Tuner 2. They told me that the tuners don't go bad it had to be something else. They insisted on sending out a TECH, who after 40 min or so, came to the only possible conclusion, a bad tuner. He replaced the HR20 and all is well.

Now she has the protection plan, I don't know if that mattered or not, but they insisted that they would not send out a new receiver, that a tech had to come out.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    In the future, IF all else fails, tell the CSR the the box will not turn on. It is dead. Hopefully you will have checked it out before hand. They will send send a replacement, for shipping charges only.

7. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    What was the situation when you called? Did you call Direct TV, with issues?
    What was said to them while working with the phone rep. What troubleshooting did they do with you before placing the call for service?
    I know from personal experience that many people just don't want to bother doing the troubleshooting, and was wondering if that was the case here.
    Seems kinda weird that they didn't isolate the problem to a bad tuner when doing the troubleshooting with the phone rep.
    Pretty simple to diagnose that problem.

Hi all, CSR insisted on the service rep, this was the second time around on a defective HR20. I did not blame them to double check me making sure the unit was defective but I was surprised to be charged. Their are other charges also see the list:
    1/30/2007
    XXXXXXXX5282
    Service Call - Charge
    $70.00
    $5.60
    11/29/2007
    XXXXXXXX0853
    Leased Receiver - Disconnect Adj
    ($2.49)
    ($0.20)
    11/29/2007
    XXXXXXXX7993
    Leased Receiver - Charge
    $2.49
    $0.20
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX5282
    DIRECTV DVR Service - Charge
    $5.59
    $0.22
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX5282
    DIRECTV DVR Service - Disconnect Adj
    ($5.59)
    ($0.22)
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX5282
    HD Access - Charge
    $9.32
    $0.00
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX0853
    Leased Receiver - Charge
    $4.66
    $0.38
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX0853
    ($4.66)
    ($0.38)
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX1700
    ($4.66)
    ($0.38)
    11/16/2007
    XXXXXXXX0853
    Leased Receiver - Charge
    $4.66
    $0.38
    11/15/2007
    XXXXXXXX5282
    HD Access - Disconnect Adj
    ($9.66)
    $0.00
    I cant understand all of that so I listed it all. I am pretty good at figuring the electronics out and I come to this site anytime I need info first. Thanks Paul D

8. kaysersoze

kaysersoze Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Feb 28, 2006
    The reciever that was replaced was your primary rcvr, so when it was deactivated they had to reinstate the services on the new rcve. This is why you see credits and charges for the same amounts.

9. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Nope got credit back but took out service contract anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.