1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should I bother with RVU?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Arin, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Arin

Arin New Member

Aug 31, 2014
    I'm trying to figure out if I should use RVU or just simply continue using receiver boxes like the HR44.

Main Considerations:
    • Speed - If RVU guide speed & DVR interaction is slower, I don't really want it.
    • Quality - If RVU quality is worse, I don't really want it.
    • Cost
    Setup:
    • Main TV - Has RVU
    • Secondary TV - Doesn't have RVU
    [SIZE=13.8888883590698px]Does it make any sense for me to use RVU? [/SIZE]Should I:
    • Install Genie HR44 on secondary TV and use RVU on main TV?
    • Install Genie HR44 on main RVU compatible TV and install Genie Mini on secondary TV?
    • Install Genie HR44 on both TVs?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You can't install HR44 on both TVs. You can have one and only one Genie.

Whether you use an RVU TV, a mini, or a small box with tuner like the H25, its $6/month.
    With RVU TV you can connect/disco at will with no box to send back.
    With RVU TV, you have no extra box.

On the other hand, I am a fan of having a Genie and an H25. Here's why.
    If all you have is the Genie and mini or RVU TVs and the Genie fails, there's no TV in the house.
    An H25 has a tuner and you have a backup box that is independent of the other.

Some will say the Quickplay feature is missing without a mini or RVU TV but to me, that's less important than having TV is the Genie fails.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Speed: RVU isn't as good as a receiver.
    Quality: the same as a receiver.
    Cost: the same monthly fee.

Currently you can't have two Genies on one account.

4. Arin

Arin New Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Well, in that case it sounds like this is my best bet:

Use the new Genie box on the main TV.

Use my old HR24 on the secondary TV.

Any point in trying to get DirecTV to upgrade the HR24 to the 25?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One other option to consider is a Genie and another DVR (an HR24). I have one client at a very seldom used TV. No RVU at all.

Ah, you posted while I was writing. Absolutely keep the HR24. If you schedule a recording at the HR24, it will record on the HR24 but you can watch it from the Genie, and the HR24 can watch anything recorded on the Genie.

The H25 is a receiver only, not a DVR.

6. Arin

Arin New Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Ah, makes sense. Well, I guess that's the route I'll go and I'm definitely sticking with this forum. I'm surprised how fast responses were, especially to a noob like me. Thank you so much!

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My biggest “gripe” with RVU TVs is that DirecTV® does not control the software upgrade process. So RVU TVs can be much outdated (FW wise) then DirecTV® own RVU clients.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Faster than RVU !rolling

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Having the HR24 already is new info so in that case, keep it. Forget the H25.

Two DVR's are better than 1