1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I call D* for a re alignment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by KC2LLW, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1 of 15
    KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Well I finally got HD, I installed the AU9-SL3 myself and had D* come out with two new HR23 on 5/23 I showed the installer my SL3 and he said nice job. I told him I just rough tuned it in on 101 using my old SD receiver and getting around 87 on most transponders but would need to be peaked and couldn't check 103 or 99 because I had no HD receivers. He said he would peak them all and he had a birdog signal meter. I was setting up my computer and networking the HR23 last night and ran a system test and came up with an error code about low signal strength. I checked my signal meter and they seem very low the 101 is in the 70-80s and the 99 are in the 40s-50s, 103 is in the 50s -60s I don't think he tuned it in at all as when he was out on the dish with his bird dog he spent about 5 minutes out there. My question is should I call D* and have them come back and peak it or should I just try to do it myself now that I have the HD boxes which I could fine tune the 3 satellites off of? I just feel like I did all the work for this installer you think he would of at least spent time properly tuning the dish for peak signals. Oh btw got my pc linked to the HR23 via wireless linksys WET610N / TVersity works awesome!
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Jun 4, 2009 #2 of 15
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would have him come back out until he gets it right. Look at your signal strengths on all sats and transponder to make sure they are optimal. Make sure it is Grounded properly. Could the dish have been moved slightly by wind or weather?

3. Jun 4, 2009 #3 of 15
    mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Sounds like you're capable of peaking the dish yourself, since you managed to install it! Do you want to wait for D* to send out a tech, or do you want it working correctly right now?

4. Jun 4, 2009 #4 of 15
    KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Yea I guess I know the answer, DIY if you want it done right!!!! I am sure there are some installers who take pride in there work but very few!! I guess that's why I did the install myself in the first place. (Don't trust anyone) now that I have the HR23 I can tune it in myself.
    Thanks
    Steve

5. Jun 4, 2009 #5 of 15
    xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Just go to DishPointer.com and get the info for aiming and match it to the info on the dish it's self for aiming.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #6 of 15
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Verify that the correct dish is selected.
    Verify that the mast is plumb.
    Set the dish to the zip code you are in. The receiver set up will give you what you need. Set the el & tilt carefully. Peak the az on 101 and see what you have. Check all sats on the receiver signal meter.
    Know that the back bolts that lock down the az should be snug while you work. If they are loose the el will be affected when you tighten them, thus changing the signal you found.
    Peak the 101 for el second.
    The Birdog cannot "see" the Ka band.
    The tech DTV will send may not know as much as you have learned thus far, turnover being what it is.

Go for it,

Joe

7. Jun 5, 2009 #7 of 15
    KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Thanks guys, I will peak it this weekend.
    Steve

8. Jun 7, 2009 #8 of 15
    Hoggy

Hoggy Cool Member

Sep 5, 2008
    since you mounted the dish, i would first go look at the dish and see if I could determine why signal was less than before, you should not be able to move the pole, if you can, you didn't mount it secure, if the pole is 100% stable, re-align or have it re-aligned. And obviously if it isn't stable, make sure it is, before re-aligning

9. Jun 9, 2009 #9 of 15
    KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    I'm 210lbs and can hang off of it, it's solid as a rock!!!! (like the US governments car commercial says)

10. dan7178

dan7178 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    You cant fine tune the KA/KU odu with the tuner. It has to be dithered with a satellite meter. If the Ku beam is not dead center, missing the true beam peak by a small amount can cause a significant degradation at the Ka signal. A 16th of an inch is like being 800 miles off. It's not like the old days any more to where we had a wide beam to play with. It has to be dead center. You nead to have someone come out and dither the dish.

11. KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Dan, I think I may invest in a KA/KU meter.
    Thanks
    Steve

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why? I'd use the receiver and it's built-in signal meters. Those signal meters are for installers who get paid by the install and don't have time to fiddle around setting up a TV set near the dish.

When I align my dish I run an RF cable (modulator may be needed) to the dish and use a 5" portable B & W TV set. The receiver sits in it's usual location and is controlled via RF remote. Works like a charm.

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Absolutely right. Dithering the dish using the signal meters in the receivers works fine, it's just a bit slower (maybe) than using a special signal meter. I use an RF modulator, a portable TV and an RF remote like Thomas M and have set up several dishes this way. I would bet most people don't have signal strengths as good as my own (mid-90s on all 99c/103c transponders for example).

14. k2tech

k2tech Cool Member

Dec 9, 2008
    HR23's have Installation Verification software installed, which means that in order to be fully activated they have to have signals levels above a certain level (usually 78 or higher I believe), or they will show some pretty red X's on the screen and you can't go further without a re-peak or a waiver. The installing tech (or your initial peaking) must have yielded numbers at least good enough to pass this step of the process. The numbers you gave would have never passed, so something must have moved after the initial install.
    You have probably re-peaked by now, but make sure all bolts are as tight as you can get them. The Ka/Ku dishes have a lot of wind load on them and if they are not tight, they will move. Also...with numbers in the 40's and 50's on the high def sats, you have to be losing picture and have major pixelation.
    I would call D* and have them set up a service call. If the guy didn't take the time (about 5 minutes maybe) to correctly dither your dish and check that everything was tight and good to go, then he deserves a service call on him.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

Thomas,

I have done bunches of HD installs..........and ya know what really grinds my ass? The HSPs & DTV want to offer the same money for an installation that "requires" a $500.00 meter. Furthermore, they wanted you to hit a spot with that dither idea before the sat was active. So you tune a dish, the sat goes up and surprise , surprise there is a service call for low signal.

I did one AT- 9 and when the cx bought an HD TV (none present at instalation & no 103 in space) they wanted me to drive 90 miles to repoint the son of a bitch. Grrrrrr! Then they wanted me to eat the original installation because the cx moved the dish & reran the wires "hisself" after building the promised garage.

The DTV system and their"fleet" of sats is pretty stable. The Ka signal from 99 & 103 are on either side of the 101.........poooosh a little west for 103.

If there was a notice to techs the ran..."enclosed is your new Birdog...

But they just tried to get techs to eat it.

Joe