1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I complain?: got refurb HR20-700 instead of new HR22 on install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by marc3, Jan 18, 2009.

1. marc3

marc3 New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Hey Team. OK. So I just got DTV installed last week and must admit that I'm disappointed - no actually, mad that on a first install for a new account, I got a refurb HR20 instead of a new HR22.

My buddy in the same city got his installed this week (we each got the $50 refererral) and his was a brand new HR22.

Should I complain and demand a new system? Here are my concerns:

1) refurbs - no idea how many hours on the unit or the HD. Not getting the "maintenance package" so chances are, it won't last as long as a new unit given some wear/tear..

2) doesn't the new unit have a larger HD? Is there any way to tell the size of HD in the device short of counting hours?

3) doesn't the new unit ship with an RF remote std? Luckily, I convinced the tech to check his truck. He had a "used" RF remote, but no antenna. I grabbed an antenna from an old Dish IRD I had to get RF to work.

4) This is the last of the models with integrated ATSC tuner so there is one minor advantage. Does this mean that in my unit, I could record 3 programs at once? (one from ATSC, 2 from sat feed)?

5) Is the HR22 a better unit? (ie: faster processor, better design, more stable s/w, etc).

Please advise as to what you would do if you were me. I guess if the HR20 didn't have the integrated ATSC tuner, I would have called to complain while the guy was still installing.

I just hate to feel like I was swindled by being given used equipment on the initial install. I asked the tech and he told me that all he has is what's in his truck and they were all HR20s.

For the record, the guy that installed at my buddy's this week is from another area and was covering so perhaps he had access to new inventory.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    There's no guarantee what box you'll get as D* treats them all the same. Yes, the HR22 (and HR23) have slightly larger HD's, but since you're leasing the unit you may get any of a number of different DVR's, refurbed or new. You can call and complain, but it won't get you anywhere.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    :welcome_s

1) Refurbs are supposed to get a new HD when they go through the refurb process.

2) The HR22/23 have a 500gb drive vs 300/320 in the 20/21 models.

3) It should have come with a RF remote. Only the 20-100 needs and external RF antenna. All others have an "internal" one.

4) No, you can record a max of 2 programs at once via sat/ota. Only way for a 3rd is via on demand.

5) The HR22 is just an evolution in board design. Same software, etc. Some say its faster, others slower, so...

As far as DirecTv is concerned, anything in the HR2x line is current for a HD-DVR install/upgrade.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It is easy to verify the drive size. The standard HR20 will record 50 hours of HD which equals 2% per hour on the scale. If the drive is larger(if replaced during refurb)it will be something less than the 2%. You can do the math.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Differences between HR2x HD-DVRs. All are considered current and can receive the same main programming/features.

Model--HDD(GB)--OTA----Color----BBC Req.**
    HR20---300/320---Yes----Silver----Yes
    HR21---320-------No*----Black----Yes
    HR22---500-------No*----Black----Yes
    HR23---500-------No*----Black----No

*Can add OTA via AM21 Tuner, retails for $50 from Directv.
    **BBC - B-Band Converters connect on the cable between the receiver and dish in non-SWM installs.

6. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    i would rather have a HR20-700 over any other box right now....no problems and i have had it for 2 years....and i have 2 of them

7. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    on your hr20's,.....there is a HR20-700 that is BLACK

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I thought it was the -100's that had a few, but not all black ones.

9. bertman64

bertman64 AllStar

Aug 24, 2007
    It's a FREE HD DVR and leased so if it goes bad you will get replacement so that is a much better deal than most got. I had to pay for standard TIVO, oval dish and HD receiver just 6 years ago, almost 1,000.00 since I got an HD-ready TV and the digital receiver that turned out to be Directv receiver was 700.00 extra! That's almost as bad as when I paid 729.00 for my first VHS VCR or 400.00 for my 1st DVD player or 650.00 for my 1st DVD recorder!

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    For simplicity I neglected to put it as there are seemingly just a few. Plus color should not be a HUGE deal and the HR20s are not in production anymore anyhow ;)

11. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I would think a new customer would get a new DVR. Installing refurbs for new customers says, "Hey, welcome to DIRECTV, we don't give a rat's behind what you want." I'd be downright insulted to get anything but new for the whole system as a new customer.

Fortunately, I suppose, I always do a self install with either DBS provider, so I've got control over what I get for equipment. DIRECTV has always issued credits to offset the cost of the dish and HD DVR.

12. fredandbetty

fredandbetty Godfather

Jan 28, 2007
    And i am SO glad that i have two of them and have had NO probs....yet!

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have a Hr20-700 and a Hr22-100. The 20 is much faster than the 22 here. If I had to choose, Id probably choose the 20.

14. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

The whole point of leasing receivers is that you return them to DirecTV when you are no longer using them, and then they send them out to other customers.

If DirecTV can't reuse returned receivers, then the economics of the lease program won't work.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There were both black and silver HR20-100.

IIRC all the HR20-700s were silver.

Mike

16. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Color is a huge deal to me (don't know why), but I despise silver electronics!!!

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With Dish, EVERY standard-def customer gets refurb equipment. That's all we've gotten for months, as people upgrade to HD and their SD equipment goes back into the pool. They occasionally make a run of SD DVRs, but that's rare. The only thing we get new are the latest model of HD-DVRs (722 and 612).

18. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I agree, all my stuff is black, so I much prefer the black models. I received an HR21 and HR22 though so I am happy ;)

19. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    Since the majority of my recordings are OTA I would rather get a ref hr20 than a new hr22-23. I have read to many issues about the AM21 to want to deal with it right now.

20. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003
    The HR20 has OTA capability that doesn't exist in the newer units without the add on module.