1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should I get a Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ScoHo, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I'm getting ready to make my annual Sunday Ticket call, and was thinking about getting them to throw in a Genie set up. So my question is...is it worth it?

My set up is the old antiquated HR20-700 DVR and two of the older HD receivers (not sure of the models) with the whole-home set up.

The kicker is I put a 2TB hard drive in the HR20-700...so it's really nice never having to worry about running out of space, especially with the 50 shows we have set to record. What size is the hard drive in the Genie?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Genie DVRs come with a 1TB drive. Sounds like main benefit for you might be the Genie's additional tuners (5 vs 2) and 100 Series Recordings (instead of 50). You could replace one of your older HD Receivers with the Genie and not need to upgrade your dish (assuming you already have a SWM setup). With Whole Home DVR sharing, all of your DVRs & Receiver can see each other's recordings.

3. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Good to know that it's 1TB. That will probably be fine for us as I don't think we were ever at 50% capacity with the 2TB.

How do I know if I have a SWM setup? Would my existing DVR and receivers be able to see and watch what's on the Genie?

Also, as a side note, we found that you can actually go over the 50 recording limit by setting the series recording up on one of the non-DVR receivers. They apparently don't have the check in place.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You don't have to give up your HR20, you can keep it and add the Genie to your system, as litzdog suggested replace one of the HD receivers. By keeping the HR20 you can still watch anything you have recorded on it.

DirecTV will provide any necessary equipment when they install the Genie in case you don't already have SWM.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    On your current HD DVR, press the remote's "Dash (-)" button. Does it echo "SWM Connected ..." on your TV? If yes, then you have SWM. But as Carl points out, DirecTV will upgrade your dish and other equipment as required when you get a Genie on your account.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No brainier here. Have the Genie replace one of the HD and keep the HR20. Now, not only will have space, but you also have enough tuners to avoid any scheduling conflicts.

7. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    So if I get the Genie and keep the DVR, when I press "List" on the DVR, I will also see and watch the recordings on the Genie (and vice-versa, if I press List on the Genie, I'll be able to watch the recordings on the HR20)?

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yep.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, after a couple of settings in the Menu....

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, after a couple of settings in the Menu....
    WHDVR is on by default....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Including settings defaulting to let all boxes delete, etc.??

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Including settings defaulting to let all boxes delete, etc.??
    well, the OP was asking if all he had to do was press "list" and that is the case. watching via WHDVR does not require to set the delete settings

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Awesome. Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a no-brainer - get the Genie, but keep the HR20. FYI, I did the "dash" trick and it doesn't appear I have SWM as it just said some numbers and Internet Connected.

One more question - it sounds to me like my best bet is to keep the HR20, replace one of the HD tuners with the Genie, and keep the other HD tuner rather than get one of those Mini Genie clients? From what I read, it sounds like the Mini client requires a coax run from the main Genie server, which I don't already have (I have coax to every room in the house, but they're all homerun lines from the main box). So it just seems like it would be a more complicated installation if I were to replace the other HD tuner with a mini client.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The client needs the same coax wiring as the receiver. Either will work at the receiver location using that coax. The difference is with the client you pretty much have full control of the Genie whereas with the receiver you can schedule a recording on the Genie, and watch a recording from the Genie, but that is all. On the other hand, the receiver has it's own tuner and is not using one of the Genie's 5 tuners. So there are pros and cons both ways. Either will work, just a matter of preference on your part.

15. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Oh okay. When I was reading about the Genie it sounded like the Coax to the mini client had to come directly from the main Genie server, but it sounds like you're saying the coax for the mini client can come from the main satellite feed.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes!

17. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Thinking about moving up the the Genie myself. What is the deal with the wireless client? Can you watch live and recored TV in a room without a coax connection?

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  19. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    When should it be available? If I make the jump the the genie (and I'm assuming I'll need to go back under contract to do so unless I play full freight) I'd like to get this option my the upstair bedroom.

20. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have a related situation...

In my living room, I have multiple receivers, included among them are two HR20-700s, which provide for my OTA viewing, too. On both of these HR20-700s are numerous recordings yet to be viewed. Moreover, one of the HR20s has a 1TB external hard drive attached to it, and that drive has many recordings on it.

Can I replace these two HR20s with one Genie, deactivate the HR20s, but still watch recorded shows on them? They're leased, so I'm concerned that if I do deactivate them, DirecTV will want them back, thereby precluding me from saving the recordings for eventual viewing.

Removing these two HR20s would save me their respective monthly fees, correct?

Edited to add something important: I have Whole Home DVR service, but through ethernet connection. I have an SWM setup but am maxed out at the present time in tuners off that dish setup.