1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

should I go from 3 HR** DVRs to a Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Aug 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I currently have 3 DVRs - an HR24 and 2 HR20's. All boxes are networked (WWDVR).

Do you think I'd gain anything from a Genie setup? Any technical advantages or price advantages?

Thanks!

2. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    I would just replace one of the HR20's with the genie and keep the 2 DVR's... That way if genie dies or fails you won't have to worry about taking the clients with it.

Will gain 3 tuners and larger HDD.

Price same for genie and 2 clients vs genie and 2 DVR's

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if DirecTV® will throw a Genie at no cost, I wold go for it. Keep in mind there would be a two year commitment

4. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    But you will get a two year commitment, if the ATT purchase is a problem for you then you may not want to do this.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you would want to watch 2 programs at once it has picture in a picture. It is very fast compared to the receivers you have already.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I really wouldn't expect any changes for one to two years after they close.

1 person likes this.
  7. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I hope not. I can get a free HR44 but I am on the fence, I don't want to sign up for two years.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Assuming overall you are happy with the number of tuners you have in your system today, I'd swap the two hr20s for a genuine and a mini, and keep the HR24.

Unless you say you never have more than two tvs on at once and record everything and never see more than five things on at one time you might want to watch and or record and 100 series is the most you ever set to record. Then go all genie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  9. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I would do the same.
    I'm getting used to the mini myself.
    I wish there was a monthly price advantage, but unfortunately there is none.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ans because the re is none, the HDDVR is more enticing

1 person likes this.
  11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Not in this situation imho when they are hr20s. Power hungry room heaters via a mini? Not even a contest for me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    inhahauts - not sure what you mean about 'Power huhgry room heaters'

By the way, if I call D*, would I get an HR44, or would it be complete chance like it is for the HR**'s?

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The HR20 runs hotter than any of the other DVRs especially the hr44. The hr44 the fan doesn't even have to run on mine.

(I had four in one room once. Closed all the heater vents they kept the room so warm in winter)

And the HR20 uses more power than any other DVR to so its not as energy friendly as any other DVR.

And if one is replaced by a mini your power drops even more since they take almost none when powered off. You are looking at reducing power draw equivalent of a 60 watt bulb or more being on 24/7. That's big in areas like California where every little bit that pushes you to the next tier is massive price increases.

As for what you will get it is a crap shoot but it seems most are getting hr44 as they are far more prevalent. I liken it more
    To if you got a HR20-700 or HR20-100 when try first came out. So your chances are good but not absolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk