1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should I have to re-up my contract to add Samsung RVU service?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slapshot54, Jun 24, 2013.

1. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I just called to add my Samsung ES6500 as an RVU client and had some conflicting information. The first CSR told me that this would NOT cause me to renew for another 24 months, then I got transferred to the order verification people and they tried to slip the 24 month renewal by me. Can someone tell me which is correct because I would prefer to have some leverage by not having another 24 months left on my contract. Thanks for the help friends.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From what I understand if you add / increase the system you do trigger a 24 month contract.
    However, I read that an Owned receiver does not. I would consider the TV as an Owned receiver in this case.

If this is replacing a receiver it definitely should not trigger the new contract.

The above is based on what I read in these forums.

1 person likes this.
  3. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Well I had the HR34 hooked up to my old TV which is being moved to the bedroom. The new Samsung TV is now in the living room and I want to run this off RVU. I already have the cinema connection kit so no new equipment, just coax run to the bedroom and Cat5 to the living room.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I would think no commitment. But not positive. Maybe get the access card department. They might be able to say better than anyone.

5. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    It's no commitment. An RVU TV is considered owned equipment. It's pretty rare for someone to call and request an install of one, so I think that's where the miscommunication came from.

6. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    It is no commitment I just did mine Samsung about a month ago. It did take me 5 calls to get the right equipment sent to me though. CRS is not informed on this equipment setup at all

7. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Finally got it straightened out after 5 calls. It's to be installed tomorrow and as far as I know there is no commitment.

8. nelsonrl

nelsonrl AllStar

Aug 15, 2007
    what equipment is needed? I already have a genie.

9. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Just a comparable TV. All of samsung's 2012 and 2013 smart TV and some 2013 Sony models I believe.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  11. nelsonrl

nelsonrl AllStar

Aug 15, 2007
    thanks. my tv is compatible, I just haven't activated yet. I have a dvr attached so other than sayings have it working, not sure I see the real need.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What equipment, and sent by whom?

13. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    I needed a broadband conection kit to hook it up. Customer service sent me one because I already coax at the tv. I took me many calls to get them to understand that was all I needed. Some said I use the wireless and some insisted I use the coax to the tv. I finally got a guy who looked at there set up in the office and then understood

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Was your Genie already installed with internet before?

15. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    yes I went for the 5 tuners and bigger hard drive before clients were even available

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Maybe I am missing something, but with a Genie, you could have hooked up your internet right to the box with an ethernet cable. And my understanding of TV clients is all they need is an ethernet cable. Do you have other receivers on DECA?

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Maybe I am missing something, but with a Genie, you could have hooked up your internet right to the box with an ethernet cable. And my understanding of TV clients is all they need is an ethernet cable. Do you have other receivers on DECA?

or coax with a DECA Home adapter