1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I take this offer? (Seattle viewer missing ABC)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bitsercat, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Bitsercat

Bitsercat New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I am moving to Direct on Friday, Dish is making me a great offer. I was leaving due to channel 4 ABC has been taken away. My first question is do you think Dish will be putting ABC back on in the Seattle area or are they just trying to keep me and have no intentions of getting it back. Second question is they are offering me HD and my current America Everything for a very reasonable price. I have a 500 Dish Satelite, do I need something else to get HD? Dish is offering me this deal for a year with no contract. I have been with them for over 10 years. Would any of you switch to Direct under these offers. What do I need to make sure I am getting a good HD DVR. I now have 3 DVRs and the HD receiver would only be replaced on one TV. What would you do?

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    This is the point when I quit reading. Isn't it a moot point now?

3. Bitsercat

Bitsercat New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    What does that mean?

4. TheChef

TheChef Cool Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Here is a thought. Take the good offer from Dish and get a blasted ota antenna put up. I personally don't think KOMO is a good enough reason to switch services after 10 years.

5. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I think Dish wants to provide this channel but, I think it will be a while before any of the fisher channels come back. You will need a dish upgrade to get HD service. As for if they are offering you a good deal well, you will need to tell us what the deal is before we can tell you if it is a good one. But, just remember the next CSR might not know about the last deal you were offered.

6. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    yeah, me too!

7. Mindhaz

Mindhaz AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    I just moved from DirecTv to Dish last Friday after being with them for 13 years. I moved to get a basic, cheap HD package (TurboHD Bronze). Other than that, DirecTv has good programming and service.

Some things I've noticed so far:
    The 30 sec skip is way cool.
    The RF remotes have much better range (all of my stuff is in the closet).
    The OTA tuner in the 722 and 612 pick up channels better.
    The guide allows for more programming info on the screen.
    I get PIP on the 722.
    Space on the 722 is better than HR-2X.
    More HD HBO and Cinemax
    Cabling was simpler with only 1 going to each box. D* has this now with SWM, but I didn't have it. It allowed me to backfeed the RF out to my closet on the 722. I'm not using it yet, but I'm planning on hooking up the old TV Tuner on my PC.

Some things I'm missing:
    The PQ on my Pioneer Plasma is not as sharp on some channels.
    Excluding 30 second skip... I like the way DirecTvs DVR is controlled better. I may be missing some shortcuts or I could be a victim of habit. I like the hit record twice in the guide to record and dash twice to delete.
    1 HD Showtime? One less thing to pay for I guess.

I'm not sure where you live or how far the locals are, but my OTA works perfectly. I'm about 35 miles away from the Nashville stations. I have a small Terk HDTVs with a booster. I set this up initially to get the Tornado warnings during rain fade.

I am glad Dish draws a hard line on price negotiation with providers. The more they pay, the more I pay.

Hope this helps.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Based on what little I know about DirecTV, it appears Dish has an advantage in its DVR equipment and in package prices (after the "signing bonuses" run out).

But no ABC would represent a huge negative for us based on our viewer patterns. Assuming you can't get OTA KOMO digital from an antenna into a ViP DVR (if you can, you can record it), then it is a tough choice. I don't suppose you would want to take the Dish deal and get a minimal package from Direct or cable?

9. Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    Fisher is tangled now. The nets are all caught up in lawsuits and money wars.

It'll be a while.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    BTW, D*'s receivers have a 30 second skip, just need to do a keyword search for 30skip to enable it, 30slip puts it back.

11. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    A "Moot point" is when the original issue has been resolved and the answer will not make any difference. ((Usually used in the context of Moot Court - where baby lawyers learn to argue cases in law school without any clients being harmed in the process.))

What the comment meant here, I think, is that if you are already moving to D* on Friday, you presumably have already signed a commitment, so why ask the question now?

12. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    The 30 second skip button is the one right above the fast forward that has an arrow then a vertical bar.

13. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    The OP lives in Port Angeles, way to far from Seattle to get even analog OTA let alone digital. Nearest other big city is Victoria but that's in Canada. Don't think they have ABC.