1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SteelersFan, Apr 18, 2013.

1. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I currently have a HR21-700, HR22-100, HR24-200 and an HR22-100. I'm running Whole-home upgraded from Ethernet only a few months back. They put a new dish on my roof and I believe ran the SWM-8 setup. I'm eligible for an equipment upgrade under the protection plan and although I'm comfortable with the amount of programs I can record at once (should be obvious), I didn't know if this was an opportunity to get something better. I was also considering removing the protection plan from my account, but didn't want to lose the upgrade option before doing so. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also wasn't sure if upgrading the Genie would require professional installation.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you got the Genie, you would need a different SWM system if you go over 8 tuners total. So they would put a regular LNB back on and give you a SWM16. I'd have them do this.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you don't want to loose the upgrade option and don't mind a 2 year commitment, then getting the Genie is a no brainer.