1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should primestar customer get free refub?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by newsposter, Jul 9, 2012.

1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    a friend has a bad DVR..stuttering etc.. the CSR apparently was mute..literally woudl say nothing...even though my friend walked thru all the issues..still..crickets...anyway..she asked for a replacement DVR and the girl said sure. would be 20 bucks shipping

about 2 years ago my friend got all her old equipment changed out from the primestar days...she even has DNS when i really dont think she is supposed to..but inherent in the primestar days i thought was a protection plan?

or is the protection plan just a 20 fee and normally it would be more. i swear under the PP i got receivers free

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The PP waives shipping and allows a bad owned receiver to be replaced with owned.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I thought the primestar customers were completely gone now? Without the PP, a replacement receiver is $20 S&H for everyone.

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    There are two different types of Primestar accounts now, those that are under the old rental model and those that upgraded their equipment and are under the current leased model. Accounts with rental equipment don't pay for equipment replacement, remote replacements, or service calls (unless customer damage). Those under the current leased model (if they've upgraded to HD the account has been converted) have the option of $19.95 for shipping or the Protection Plan.

Since you said your friend changed her equipment a few years ago it sounds like she's been converted and would have to pay the $20 s/h or the Protection Plan.

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Prime Star customers had a lot of different contracts. DirecTv honored them.
    Some had DNS Waivers that carried over. Some had protection plans that carried over. Some had free miorrored receivers. Some had magic cards.

Doing an "upgrade" with DirecTv...Charlie Daniels had a song about that.

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    magic cards?? what is that?

7. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Dragons should know all about magic.

8. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    no HD in the house..just wanted to make sure the 20 was legit..dtv is known to make errors

her magic card still works thankfully