1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should SWiM16 + DECA require two ports?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chiefgeek, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chiefgeek

chiefgeek Cool Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I just got upgraded to a hr34 and in the process I got upgraded to SWiM.

I have 5 IRDs with dual coax pulled to each one. I thought I was going to be able to use the extra coax pulled to each IRD to put my OTA on. When I tried to hook it up I noticed that both coax cables that are going to the HR34 also go the SMiM. I looked at the back of the HR34 and one coax is fed into a DECA and the other connects to the IRD. Not sure if it matters but the SMiM16 has a 4way and a 2way coming off of it.

I can go up there and getter a more correct wiring diagram if needed, my main confusion was why they needed to coax cables for the HR34+DECA (I thought you only needed one coax with SMiM).

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, just need one coax to each SWiM capable receiver. The other coax can feed OTA to an AM21 from an antenna, totally separate.

3. chiefgeek

chiefgeek Cool Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I checked the other coax at the HR34 and there is a DECA(DCA2SR0-18) and a power inserter on the SAT Rcvr / Power end.

I assume it was wired this way so that if the HR34 lost power the network for the other IRDs would still work?

4. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    And that DECA is Ethernet connected to your router? Acting as your Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). If so, that can be moved to anywhere that you have coax and Ethernet, and use that coax for OTA if needed. Or use the HR34 as the bridge, but personally I prefer the CCK approach.

5. chiefgeek

chiefgeek Cool Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Yes it is connected to my router. Thanks for the info, I am going move it so I can use the existing cable for OTA, but keep the CCK style hookup.