1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows running late

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by westview, Feb 19, 2013.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    A number of shows run a couple of minutes after the hour. This really messes me up when I want to record. If I go to manual record I can start a show early, but not later. I know I could get another receiver, but I do not want one. Why doesn't Direst have a time record set? Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You can set a manual record time right down to the minute. Any minute of any hour.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I find it easier to just FF 4x when, if and as that occurs.

Is this really a problem, or simply an annoyance? Runner's solution works if it's the former or the latter; mine works for the latter but is far quicker than a manual setup, (unless it's a recurring event, which may make it worth the time.)

4. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I can not find how to set the recording down to the minute.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You have to start in the Manual Record section.

I am curious to know why this is a problem.

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Manual Record

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    First, to me it doesn't sound like he is actually doing a manual record. He is using a series record and trying to adjust the start time. When you do that you are only allowed to start a little early, and end a little late. You can't set it to start late or end early.

A true manual record doesn't have any ties to the show at all. It is more like old school VCR recording where you tell it what channel, what time, and what day, and it records that every time no matter what show is airing.

That should help clear that portion up.

Now back to the OP comment. I assume you are talking about shows that the guide lists as running in a certain time block like from 7-8, but in reality they might start at 6:59, or end at 8:01 but the guide does not reflect that. If that is the case then the DVR actually tries to help you out on it's own here if it can. If the tuner in the DVR is free it actually starts recording the show like 30 seconds before the show starts, and ends like a minute 30 after the show ends to try to help keep you from missing the beginning or end. So for a 7-8 show it actually records from 6:59:30 to 8:01:30. In order to see that first 30 seconds you actually have to hit rewind when you start playing the recording. The last minute and a half just plays at the end without you doing anything.

Now if you are talking about the guide actually showing the show running long (for example the guide says it airs from 7-8:01), then that is a different story. Because the guide data says that the DVR knows it has to record until 8:01. So if you have two other shows that start at 8:00 then you are going to miss one of them. There isn't much you can do about that, other than hope that show is repeated later that night/week, or set up a manual recording to record from 8:01 to whenever on that specific channel. If it is repeated later that night or week then your DVR will automatically record the other later showing (even if it doesn't show that it is going to do so in the To Do List).

This is why it is a good idea to edit your series prioritizer list to put all ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC shows at the top, and cable channel shows lower down. Cable channels tend to run repeats a lot more often and you are likely to be able to catch it again later pretty easily.

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Very nice summary of good info, Mr. Talker..... or is that "Stalker"? :D

9. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    You explained it better than I could. If they would let you start late or do it by time this would not be a problem.

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Again, you can set a recording by time. It's called "Manual Record" and can be accessed with the steps I provided above.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Can you state why this is a problem for you? In so doing, you may say something that'd help us assist you better. Besides, I am inquisitive!

Where are you stuck here?

12. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I can not do a manual recording to start a show late only to start it early.

13. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    RunnerFL gave you this

Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Manual Record

It's a menu sequence that leads you to a page that looks much like a set up screen for a VCR. You select the channel, start time, duration, and what day or days of the week you want to record.

14. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    TIVo has "soft padding", or used to. It allowed a show scheduled as a Season Pass to finish recording if it ended at an odd time (7:01) and then if you had 2 Season Pass shows starting at 7:00 it would start the lowest priority show at 7:01. The theory is you'd miss 1 minute of your lowest priority show but at least all 3 shows in this scenario would record.

DirecTV doesn't have this feature. A Series Link can't be modified to start late.

A manual recording CAN be set up to start whenever you like for however long you want and can be set up to repeat. As long as the show airs in the same time slot and day you can use this to avoid recording conflicts.

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, you can. You can setup a manual record to start at the minute of your choosing.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    WIth a manual recording you can set it to record from any minute of any hour to any minute of any hour....I'm thinking you're not quite understanding the whole manual record thing.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Actually no, you can't set the end time. You set a duration.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Correct, my bad...but same result since you can set the recording duration down to the minute.

19. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Absolutely. You can set a recording for 59 minutes, 1 hour and 2 minutes, etc. It came in handy this year when Discovery Channel decided to setup each episode of "Curiosity" to be its own show instead of an episode of "Curiosity".

20. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I apologize. I finally figured out how to do it. I just did not go far enough. Thanks for the help.