1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SHOWTIME® HD on DIRECTV

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Scott Greczkowski, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    (FYI - I got this in my email box it seems official, but I would not consider it official untill a full press release is sent by DirecTV)

DIRECTV is pleased to announce the addition of SHOWTIME® in high definition to our channel line up! SHOWTIME® HD will launch on April 30 on channel 543 and will be included with all subscriptions to the SHOWTIME® premium service. With SHOWTIME® HD, customers get great SHOWTIME® programming — top Hollywood hits and original movies, breakthrough original series, quality family movies, Sci-Fi Fridays, championship boxing and more — with superior quality picture and sound. There's no limit to enjoying home entertainment with SHOWTIME® HD and DIRECTV® programming.

SHOWTIME® HD will be broadcast from the 110˚ West Longitude (WL) orbital slot location and requires an HDTV set with a built-in DIRECTV System Receiver or a DIRECTV-enabled HD set-top receiver and a triple-LNB 18" x 24" DIRECTV Multi-Satellite dish antenna. Retailers and customers who currently have a dual-LNB 18" x 24" DIRECTV Multi-Satellite dish antenna can upgrade their existing antenna with a Sat C adapter kit. Ready-made triple-LNB 18" x 24" multi-satellite dish antennas and Sat-C Installation Kits are available from Channel Master, KTI, Terk, Winegard, a DIRECTV-licensed manufacturers or from a DIRECTV System equipment distributor.

DIRECTV also offers additional high definition programming with HBO® HDTV on channel 509 and HDNet on channel 199 (for 16 hours each day), as well as high definition pay per view movies on channel 199 (for up to 8 hours each day). Existing high definition programming will remain at the 119˚ WL orbital slot location at this time. For more information, visit the HDTV section of the DIRECTV.com Web site (under the "Imagine" menu).

Best regards,

Chris Patrick

Chris Patrick
    DIRECTV, Inc.

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Scott, HDTV Magazine has just sent a release to the same effect.

3. Guest

Multichannel.com has it too.

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Cool, well remember where you read it first! (On Friday none the less!) Here on DBStalk.COM!

5. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Today is the day......could someone tell us if it's being broadcasted?

6. Guest

The trials and trubulations of the first wave of subscribers can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136842

Note in particular that in order to get authorized, you must first have the Showtime HD channel appearing in your guide and in order to do that, you need to already have a subscription to regular Showtime, then unplug and replug in your receiver to call for the new guide.

You should ask for tech support rather than for a CSR, and tell them that there is a different code for them to enter for Showtime HD than for regular Showtime. if at first you don;t succeed...

7. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    All this waiting and are the people who subscribe to D* going to be dissappointed. I had ShowHD for about 6 months and dropped it. Most of their programming is upconverted (though it does look good). Mostly I dropped it due to the lack of anything to watch. I now have the AT 150, HBO and locals (of course, I have my 6 local OTA digital channels, 4 in HD).