1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showtime Free Preview - March 25-28...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by erosroadie, Mar 10, 2010.

1. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    From D* website...

The SHOWTIME® All-Access Free Trial

DIRECTV and SHOWTIME bring you 9 channels of the latest movies
    and hottest new TV shows—all FREE and all weekend long! Offer is
    valid from 3/25 to 3/28. Don't miss it!

2. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    :biggthump This should be one the front page news

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I took a look through the guide and didn't recognize hardly any of the movies they are showing. When did they stop showing A-list movies on Showtime?

4. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Showtime did get Quantum of Solace and Transporter 3, but they will not be on until April.

:)

5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    These free previews are great for reminding me NOT to ever get Showtime.They're showing the same junk that was in the last preview several months ago. I don't see how anyone can justify these premiums anymore when netflix has it all, including all their original programming (if you can wait until the end of the season).

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I had SHO for a few months as my "anniversary gift" last year, and outside of US of Tara, and Dexter, I hardly ever watched it. Even their boxing has gotten lame. But I'm sure I'll find one or two things on there to record next weekend.

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I've got AEP which has all of the channels Dish has. However I don't watch Showtime at all, because they seem to have movies I've never heard of.

8. mpar1

mpar1 AllStar

Mar 20, 2008
    If you like boxing and MMA, that's the draw. Were it not for those 2 things, I would have nothing to do with Showtime or HBO. Real Sports I also like but not enough to pay for HBO just to have it.

9. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    DirecTV has thrown free Showtime gifts at me twice. I have found very litle to watch on any of it's channels - the content simply does not appeal to me.

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I actually prefer Showtime over the other premium channels because of their original programming. Shows like Dexter and Nurse Jackie as well as Inside the NFL. I'm going to have to sign back up after the free preview, since the new season of Nurse Jackie starts this weekend.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    On weekend previews you miss a lot of the primetime series like Dexter, United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie, Californication, Penn & Teller, etc. that people get it for.

12. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Well, Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 ought to be good. Free is good any time!

13. andy4theherd

andy4theherd Mentor

Jan 11, 2009
    will Showtime On Demand work during the preview? I'd like to download Weeds season 5.

14. Bsquared

Bsquared AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    According to their website, it looks like it does include on demand.

http://www.sho.com/site/freepreview/home.do

15. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Showtime is in serious trouble.

Showtimes parent CBS refused in 2008 to continue to pay some $380+million dollars in licensing fees to a group of hollywood studios that included Viacom, Paramount, Lionsgate & MGM.

The dispute has remained unresolved and is why there is so little to watch on Showtime.

You may notice that these same studios are the ones that make up the new EPIX movie channel.

Now you know thw rest of the story....

16. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    This time more people will know that they have a free preview. I recieved a mail on my Hr20 telling me about the free preview. It seems that Directv has started to use more and more TVMail (I got 6 Mails on my Hr20).

17. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006

I've had Showtime free for the past year and just got another 3 months loyalty extension. I have watched maybe 2 movies the whole time. IMO there's not much worth watching on Showtime. Bring back Bizzare with John Byner then it might change my opinion. Take me back to my youth and sneaking back into the living room after bedtime to watch it. :lol:

18. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    In the recent past I recorded a couple of movies during a free preview but when I tried to watch them after the preview was over I got a message about access denied or some such. I still couldn't watch the recordings.

Wonder if this one will work the same way. :confused:

19. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    FWIW, I think Showtime is the dog of the premiums. No wonder D* gives it away as comp all the time.

20. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    Just a reminder: OnDemand downloads are not playable after the preview is over. I don't know if you can dump them on DVD or VCR.