1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showtime HD sat. move

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Hornnumb2, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I see by my onscreen message that my showtime hd will be on 537 now but I have 1 DTV box and 4 directivo boxes that if I read it right I will not be able to receive it in HD anymore. Is directv going to be giving away free boxes to fix this problem. I have 5 dvrs now. Thanks Michael

2. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    This has been happening for a long time. Over 2 years. All HD programming is in MPEG4 now. Only DirecTV (Not TIVO) HD & HD-DVR's can receive these signals.

While not free, you can usually call DirecTV and get a good deal on upgrades. 5 DVR's may be a tad expensive, but you never what you can get in bartertown.

3. kwhittenberger

kwhittenberger Cool Member

Feb 3, 2007
    DirecTV was sending out notices about equipment upgrades because of this changeover. I know I received my notice sometime last summer. You should be able to get a good trade-in (assuming they are still doing it), but there are definitely posts here on the site about it.

4. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006

Michael

On Feb 25th 3 HD channels in MPEG2 come down for good, including the Showtime channel. Directv has been calling, sending emails, sending letters to customers for a long time with this message.

Sometime later this year, additional MPEG2 only HD channels will come down...ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HBO, etc.

More than likely you are eligible for an equipment swap free of charge. You should call the number on channel 77 so that DIRECTV can get you the proper dish (a KaKu dish) and receivers that can "see" the MPEG4 codec stream.

5. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    With 3 MPEG2 channels going away next week, how many MPEG4 channels can use that amount of bandwidth?

I should know the answer, but my brain is too tired today.

6. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    none, because the space isn't on a sat they are using for HD anymore.

7. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Yes they have and they still don't get the concept that the HR10 is 1)still a good SD DVR and 2) a good OTA DVR. I have 4 HR2x DVR's and all they care about is the HR10 still on my account. I tell them every time they call that I know all about the changeover, but I don't want to get rid of it. Why can't they note my account as such?

Plus, with the 3 guide issues in the past year on the HR2x's, it makes a very good backup.

8. LoopinFool

LoopinFool Icon

Aug 31, 2007
    I agree completely. I don't think they've contacted us about the HR10 on our account. I figured it was because we already (also) have an HR20 and new dish.
    We've still got tons of SD programs and some archived HD programs on ours. I had upgraded it to 500GB a while back, so it may be a while before we can retire it without losing any shows we want to see.

- LoopinFool

9. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    They're just being thorough as many folks change there minds.

10. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    Are the old DirecTivos be dead at some point soon? We have one in the living room and my wife LOVES it.

I'm just getting ready to move it to the bedroom and order a new HD-DVR for the living room but if they're going away, maybe I could save some cash by doing the trade in thing...

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All DirecTiVos will continue to function into the known future (until the box itself dies). But the HR10-250 HD TiVo, and all other 1st-Generation HD receivers that are only MPEG2-compatible, will no longer be able to get any HD from the satellite within the next couple of months.

All of the old MPEG2 HD channels in the 70s and 80s have been mirrored in MPEG4 on the Ka-band satellites for many months already, and DirecTV is slowly decommissioning the MPEG2 HD channels. Any HD receiver that doesn't support MPEG4 compression will lose what little HD they currently get.

DirecTV is offering free HD-DVR upgrades to folks with HR10-250s, and likely will upgrade non-DVR HD receivers to MPEG4 receivers for free as well.

Should you choose not to take the upgrade, you can still use the TiVo has an SD DVR for the known future, and if you have an HR10-250, you can still use the OTA antenna for getting your locals in HD.

12. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    The plan is to move the DirecTivo upstairs to the bedroom where we don't get anything HD anyway...like I said, my wife loves the thing and knows how to work it and we both would like to have a DVR up there.

If I understood your post, I should be able to do this with no problems for now at least.

I don't my just paying for a new HD-DVR for the living room...it's worth it to me since we now have an HD capable TV in there too.

Last question...if I do all this, is the DirecTivo receiver compatible with the new 5LNB dish? I thought I asked this once before but I want to be sure before I purchase all the pieces necessary to make the switch and get the old dish off the house.

Sorry for the thread interruption...back to the subject at hand:)

13. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    And in some DMAs, locals will be delivered in MPEG4 (non HD) soon which will make them unable to view local channels as well (in those markets)

14. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    The HR10-250 works fine with the 5LNB dish. I've got one set-up that way with my last SDTV. Remember though if you want to use both tuners you'll need to have two cables going to the bedroom. You can still use it with one. Just indicate "One Tuner" in the set-up.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And if you get a new dish, make sure that it isn't the SWM one.

16. bodosom

bodosom Legend

May 31, 2004
    I noticed today that my MPEG2 HD Todo list entries have "missing" for the channel. The programming is still in the guide so I wonder what will happen come Sunday.

17. bodosom

bodosom Legend

May 31, 2004
    When I switched to a slimline the installer was going to do swm but at some point he realized that I was keeping the HR-10s. I'm sure the right thing would have happened in the end but it's tidier to get it right from the beginning.

18. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    So are you saying that an R15 will soon be obsoleted by the MPEG4 transition? That's big, well kinda big, news.

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    No more than it already has been. If you currently get your SD locals in MPEG2, that's not going to change any time soon. But any new markets are MPEG4.

20. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    Or markets that were on the 72.5 satellite.