1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Showtime vs Starz?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mrbarker, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbarker

mrbarker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    So like the rest of us I am finally excited that we actually got the HD Channels. My excitement is so that I want to add one of the movie channels. . . My question is what package do you all like better - Starz or Showtime? I like boxing but does Showtime have any more good boxing? It seems like Starz has the most HD channels.. Anyone out there willing to put their preference down would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We prefer Starz.

3. Jazzy Jeff

Jazzy Jeff Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    Showtime, Brotherhood and Dexter about to come back for the fall. Enough said :D

4. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :welcome_s
    I currently have showtime and will probably cancel once Weeds & Californication are done with new shows. I've been debating Starz simply becuse it's alot of HD.

5. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    Showtime has boxing, Starz does not. Also, there is only one more HD channel on Starz than Showtime.

Showtime:

Showtime HD E&W
    Sho Too HD
    The Movie Channel HD

Starz:

Starz HD E&W
    Starz Comedy HD
    Starz Edge HD
    Starz Kids and Family HD

6. elvistcb

elvistcb Cool Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Showtime rocks. They have a lot of great shows: Brotherhood, Dexter, Meadowlands, Weeds, Californication, Sleeper Cell. I dumped HBO (except when "Curb" & Big Love is on ) after the Sopranos. Had Starz but not much of a movie person. I think if you like movies Starz is the best, if you want original shows then Showtime is ahead of the game right now. I have watched a few movies on Sho but it doesn't seem like they are the same type as Starz.

Now that Starz is in HD I may look at it again, I think it is not as much as not being a movie person, but being an HD only person. I won't watch SD movies.

7. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    If I *HAD* to pick one, it'd be Starz

8. Sintori

Sintori Legend

Sep 5, 2007
    I'm not big on the premium channel shows yet, just upgrade to premier a few months ago. But I've always liked the large movie selection on starz. And now that it's in HD, it's even more appealing! I'm happy to see that they have added Starz Comedy and Starz Kids too!

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Personally I keep bouncing back and forth as to what my favorite it. Depends on the content... doesn't it always?

10. HD AV

HD AV Legend

Nov 22, 2006
    Skintime, er, I mean showtime is a waste of time. Yes, they have some good original programming, but it's supposed to be a movie channel. If you like good movies, then Starz is the only answer.

11. 3rdGenBruin

3rdGenBruin Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    Basically, if you want original shows, then go with Showtime. If you want movies, go with Starz. I have both and am really happy now that the new HD channels are up.

FYI, Californication (on Showtime) is the best new show on television, IMHO.

12. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I currently have HBO and Showtime. But I'll be cancelling HBO and getting Starz instead, and save a buck or two per month in the process. :)

13. mrbarker

mrbarker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    Thanks!!! Looks like Starz will win out for me this time... I was hoping someone would state how awesome Showtime Boxing would be coming up, but I guess theyve lost all their starpower to HBO :)

I appreciate the responses!

14. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    Showtime is not supposed to be a movie channel. Hasn't been for a long time. HBO started this trend since they concluded original series draw and keep customers more effectively than movies. Each of them spawns new movie only channels, Cinemax and the Movie Channels. STARZ is a movie channel, although they started to create few short original programs now.

If you like just movies, and only movies, why not consider Blueray + Blockbuster/Netflix? Probably a better deal.

15. mrbarker

mrbarker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    I have blu-ray and netflix, and my blu-ray collection, but at the same time I like scanning through channels on my directv and see some movies on those channels I cant find on netflix.. Usually smaller low budget stuff

16. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    Why don't you hold off your decision? I heard a free view for SHO is coming this Friday. I recommend you check out Weeds, Californication, and Dexter. Some of my most favorite shows on TV.

Someone mentioned STARZ freeview is coming. I haven't heard it multiple times to be sure, though.

I also think it is quite easy for you to call the CSR and check if they can offer you a 3 month Showtime on promotion. It works from time to time.

17. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I did a poll a while back and Starz won easily out of all of the Premium movie channels. With there being 4 (+1) Starz channels and Starz DoD I am going to let my free Showtime run out and get the Starz Package for at least a month to try it out.

18. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    I think I may cancel HBO for a while and give STARZ a try. When I had STARZ, I felt they had few new movies and lots of reruns.

19. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Well, the nice thing about the STARZ pack is that you get like 10 channels or something like that (all the STARZ and Encores)...no, they're not all in HD, but it's still a lot of channels.

20. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    Actually, HD DVD + Blockbuster/Netflix would probably be the better deal. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.