1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sick of shows being cut off early

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mjs31, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjs31

mjs31 Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    I understand the sometimes it is just the network, but other times it just seems like the time is off on the box? Also...does the box ever warn you that some things may run past their time frame? I recorded the football hall of fame inductions in order to see Mr. Irvin and 3/4's of the way through it just ended. I know we should know to set it longer, but I remember a time when my Ultimate TV told me that it may run longer and not just with the academy awards. It is the simple stuff that would great improve the recorder.

I swear I get 10 shows a week that end before their time is up!!!

I know...this may not be the forum, but consider it a future upgrade. Just venting now that the wife and I were just cut off mid way through....

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There's nothing in the software to warn you that something may run long, but if I recall it will automatically change the recording time if it receives new guide data. This might not ever happen in the middle of a game but it's something.

You can set record defaults to pad every recording by 5 minutes but it may create conflicts.

3. mjs31

mjs31 Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    Right. I am just wondering why so many recordings are cut off? I could pad everything but like you said, it would cause conflicts. I just remember the good ole days of Ultimate TV. We rarely ever had this issue. To me the guide data has gone to crap so the information it passes on is causing many conflicts with a lot of the programming. I love the frequent updates to the box, but I am fine with those features. I just wish Dtv and who ever handles the guide part (I think this is outside) would work on this part of it. Seems to me the most important part is recording the full and complete program in the first place...then worry about how the ff, rw and skips are working. I just don't think there has been nearly enough attention put towards the guide and programming. Ultimate also had a nice feature where you could get in depth info on the movie including directors and full cast. This tells me they were concentrating on the main item which is the movie/program itself and not worrying so much about what you can do with it.

I have seen way to many posts that really show issue with the guide, but it really seems only the box itself is addressed. Main thing I want is the actual full length program to record. If it says 9pm - 9:30pm it should have that full show. Bunch of bs that is getting old.

Assuming it is not the Ultimate TV box itself, I just have to believe there has been a major change in who handles the guide features in the past few years. Maybe it was Microsoft that did such a great job (say it isn't so), but I just would love to have a more reliable recording.

I love the updates that we get in the CS group, but I truly believe D* is putting to much effort in this part and not enough in pushing accurate program guides so that the show I meant to record actually records....

Sorry for the vent...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.