1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Side Black Pillars

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lilxskull, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lilxskull

lilxskull New Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I did a search but I cant seem to find someone who can fix this. I have black pillars on the left and right sometimes during a show for SD channels. It is kinda annoying I just got this HD setup today. The receiver is the HR22 and I have a Sony 55EX500 Tv. I can only fix the problem by changing my tv format from full to wide zoom. But when I change channel I have to change it back to full sometimes because the screen will fit it. Kinda annoying to do.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If it is occurring on a HD Channel, but is broadcasting an SD program...

Typically this is because the source of the programming, is adding the black bars in on their side of the equation. So when DIRECTV gets it, it already is a formmatted 16:9 picture.

So the only way to "correct" it, is to do what you are doing with the zoom on your TV

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    This is called window-boxing. It comes with the territory and is a legacy of all those 4:3 televisions out there, and the programming made for it.

In addition to zoom, you might be able to stretch the picture to cover up the black bars (try your TV's aspect ratio control to do this), but then everybody looks fat. I hate that look and put up with the black bars instead.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The black bars, or "pillars" as you call them, are not "added" at all. When a 4:3 AR image centers on a 16:9 AR display, the image fails to fill the sides of the screen, thus the black bars are merely the absence of picture information. No big deal.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wow, can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Hit the format button on the remote and you can set it to crop or stretch. Since those only affect SD programming, you can leave it like that all the time without having to change it back when you tune to HD programming. Does the same thing as you're doing now, you just don't have to undo it when watching HD.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Took the words right out of my mouth.