1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal cannot be decoded

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Christopher Gould, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    My zip code is 62557 central Il. Just for the heck of it I rescaned my TV's OTA channels and I'm receiving everything I'm suppose too, but I also get a channel 9.9 and 9.10. These are not local channels that I know of and it also says "signal cannot be decoded".

Here are the stats:

Physical channel = 9
    Freq. = 189000
    Modulation = 8vsb
    Status = Lock strength on the Sony A3000 = 43
    Errors = 0
    SNR (dB) = 22.33
    AGC (%) = 51

So what up with the signal cannot be decoded?

2. Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    With that high of a number it might be nonexistent.

3. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I get the same thing for Channels 13.9 and 13.10. I get my normal PBS signal for channels 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4.

I just assumed that since those were such high subchannels (and there was a gap from 13.5 to 13.8), that they were special PBS subchannels.

4. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    ITs common for these stations to put up placeholder numbers for subchannels they may use some of the time or may be thinking of using. Otherwise you would have to rescan later in order to see them with most of the receivers. There are also some subchannels that are meant to be hidden, e.g. CBS appears to have a hidden one that I caught during the conversion that was showing a picture over Central park. That subchannel disappeared after one of the rescans I did.

5. Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Howdy neighbor!

Its probably WILL channel 12 digital channel 9 from Urbana. I have seen the funky sub channel numbers from them and others sometimes. Usually only 12.1 12.2 and 12.3 have any real signal.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I've seen some "stations" that are only audio, ie music only on seemingly random channels/sub. Don't know if they are legit or underground stations or what. :confused:

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Those might be anomalies from the old virtual channel that has been abandoned. the record of the channel is still in your receiver but the receiver is getting no PISP data for the old channel and is confused about how to associate it with the new PSIP data on the new virtual channel at the same address.

Delete it.