1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal interference from wind

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lugnutathome, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I've had my second generation HD dish remounted twice The first installer mounted it wrong according to the second. The second installer remounted after a wind gust signal interference service call and he completely reinstalled the dish with good triangulation.

Then a year later I had one of the support stanchions replaced after its mounting point failed. The third tech then attached a new support arm which I think was too short but. Now after some serious winds I suspect the new mounting point chosen does not represent and adequate angle for triangulation to support the dish during heavy winds again.

We had sustained winds last night through this AM in the 30MPH range gusting to near 50 and the signal would come and go in sync with the gusts. Is this normal?

My install certainly looks a little to vertical to adequately stabilize the dish during peak winds.

Is there a kit to help stabilize the dish in areas where winds are frequently excessive?

I'm about to set up a 4th service call due to dish instability issues. Sigh.

Don "and you wonder why I get critical about their field techs" Bolton

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have never lost signal due to winds, and where I live we get extremely high winds (live at the top of a very high hill with few matured trees). I watched TV all through a recent storm that uprooted trees all around us without a single glitch from DIRECTV.

3. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Yep! I thought as much...

4th service call coming up.

Don "it seems so simple" Bolton

4. Retro

Retro AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    You should never lose the signal because of winds unless it's like 100+.. 2 years ago, we didn't lose the signal during a minor hurricane with winds 60-70mph.. Mine is mounted on a pole into the ground.

5. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    wind load will vary location to location, and what might work in one area will not work in another area. securing the mast will normally work, but if the mounting on the dish (the clamp part that secures the dish to the mast) tends to get loose at all, you may have issues. I would have the tech mark the clamp on the mast. and be sure that the clamp is as tight as possible.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Is this on your roof or wall of the house?

If it's on the wall, finding a stud to lag into can be next to impossible. Thus, the foot and the monopoles end up in the sheathing which can be good (plywood or 1x boards) to OSB all the way to crap fiber board.

On the roof it's a little easier, but depending on the materials it can be very difficult to find and hit a rafter. If the underside of where the dish is mounted is accessible, take a look (or send the installer in there) to see how far off the current lags are from a rafter. Then you (he) can take some mearsurements to a rafter and go from there. This would increase the odds of hitting one.

If LOS is possible from the ground, a pole mount is an option, but wouldn't be free.

7. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Its a roof mount and the roof was decked with sheet plywood during the re-roofing I had done 2 or so years ago. It's really stable.

I suspect he base triangulation is not adequate and the adjusters themselves for aligning the dish may have not been locked down. I watched the tech when he re aligned the dish after replacing the stanchion and do not remember him locking the adjusters down post alignment.

Whatever it is it needs fixing...

Don "end of the world, planes falling out of the sky bad;)" Bolton

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The current standard is for the tech to install #8 self-tapping screws into the monopole rings on the mast, in the center of the monopoles themselves (just behind the tightening ring), and in the hole provided on the main mast clamp on the AZ/EL module. These additional measures were taken because just tightening the bolts isn't always enough.

Wind loading varies greatly, even from house to house, depending on flow patterns. Sometimes it can be very difficult to secure a dish properly. You may even need an additional (3rd) monopole.

9. maineengineer

maineengineer Mentor

Apr 7, 2006
    More often than not, signals that "come and go in sync with the gusts" are caused not by the dish moving in the wind but rather by trees which are blown back and forth into the line of sight window, which is a possibility which could warrant further investigation.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    also don't just look for monopole issues, depending on direction you could get lnb arm vibrations.

11. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Can you post a pic of one done like this ? I'm having a tough time forming a mental picture of what it should look like.

12. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    We lose signal sporadically here in SoCal when gusts surpass 50 mph. It has to do with the direction the dish has to me aimed and the direction of the wind. If it's hitting the front of the back of the dish directly it will vibrate. In fact the whole house vibrates when the winds are high. A pole mount being lower might actually be a better solution.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    [​IMG]
    #8 Self-Tapping Screws, 1/4" hex head

[​IMG]

In this pic, you can see a small hole in the mast collar, just below the red drawn-in circle. A self-tapper goes there.

At the bottom of the pic, you can just see one of the (hopefully 2) monopoles, which attaches to the main mast with a metal ring. A self-tapper goes into each ring and into the mast, to prevent the rings from sliding up or down the mast.

[​IMG]

Here's a monopole. It's a telescoping pole with a ring clamp to lock the telescoping portion in place. A self-tapper goes into the pole just behind the ring clamp, and should drive into the smaller, inside portion of the pole as well, locking them in place.