1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Loss at Night-Locals Only Detroit DMA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stan227, Mar 4, 2010.

1. stan227

stan227 New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    My brother-in-law experiences signal loss for only Detroit DMA local channels during the day, clearing up and producing a rock-solid picture after about 8:30 to 9pm. HBO, CNN, etc. is available 24 hrs/day. His service address is in the Detroit metro area, however, the intermittent signal loss occurs at his lake house in a rural area in zip code 48748.

He owns a DirecTv SD system with only one TV connected to the dish. Other threads report a signal LOSS with locals at mid-evening. His signal for locals APPEAR only upon mid-evening and later. I am not sure of which receiver he has (I have a DishNetwork system). During the day he gets a blank screen when tuned to the locals, WITHOUT any sort of message.

I realize that he is most likely is at the very fringe of the Detroit DMA footprint, but that does not explain why the signal is dependable and only watchable after about 9pm. I'm thinking that the sun is a noise generator of sorts, and may contribute enough marginally to prevent reception of a daytime local signal. I don't know if the locals become watchable later in the evening in the summer months.

Any suggestions to prevent this problem would be appreciated.

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    DirecTV spot beam signals (local channels) are designed to be received at the address (ZIP code) where the service address is. Relocating a receiver to a "lake house in a rural area" or relocating a receiver anywhere other than the "service address" is a violation of the DirecTV subscriber agreement, and as a result signal reception is not guaranteed.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm going to presume that the thread starter isn't saying that he has multiple receivers at multiple locations without telling DIRECTV... because that would be against the Customer Agreement. No one would post such a thing in a public forum, would he?