1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Loss on 61.5

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BillJ, Oct 5, 2010.

1. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I've been having problems today with partial and complete signal loss on transponder 10 at 61.5 while watching channel 209. Wonder if it's just me or if Dish has a problem there. That satellite is a clear shot for me. No trees anywhere near line of sight. Weather is clear for hundreds of miles in all directions. Haven't had problems with other channels we watched.

2. Palsgraf99

Palsgraf99 Mentor

Mar 16, 2006
    Georgia
    According to info I found on the satelliteguys board, we're in the middle of the so-called solar outages period (around 9/29 through 10/15) where the sun and the DISH sats line up with each other in such a way that the sun's radio waves drown out the sat's signal on certain transponders. This MAY be what was impacting you today. I experienced a similar outage late this afternoon on TMC-W. This stuff is way over my head, but it sounds like a logical explanation. The other board even has a pdf file that lists the expected outages and the times at which they should occur.

3. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I thought about that as a possible cause of the problem. Hope that's all it is.

At least I got to see the new error messages in L6.30. A little more useful than just "Acquiring Signal". They differentiate between partial signal loss and complete signal loss and offer some steps to try to solve the problem. Nothing I didn't already know but may help newbies to Dish.

BTW, at one point I checked signal strength and watched it go down below 20 and back up to 45 over the span of 30 to 40 seconds.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I had SL graph in up-link thread, it doesn't correlate with solar flares, you can see there a couple new transponders added (not sure if today exactly), but that tell me it's more satellite(s) maintenance, then mother nature interaction .

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I had a couple of drops during the afternoon as well while watching channel 200. Not the right time of day for a solar conjunction outage. I checked the dish to see if it was blocked and it wasn't. I thought of the solar outage but noted that the shadows were wrong.