1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Meter for 103

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by k0rww, Jun 13, 2010.

1. k0rww

k0rww Legend

Aug 20, 2006
    St. Louis
    Any recommendations for a Satellite Signal Meter for measuring the signal from 103?

2. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    i do think the new birddog, acutrack III and a superbuddy maybe?

3. k0rww

k0rww Legend

Aug 20, 2006
    St. Louis
    If the LNB down converts a KA band frequency to L-Band (1-2GHz):

Why can't a standard satellite signal meter see 103?

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    If you are planning to do enough installations to pay for a meter in the $500.00 to $800.00 range....the Superbuddy seems to have most usable features. The Birdog was the only game in town but I know techs who have used both and prefer the former over all others. They charge enough to cover the cost of their tools, time and materials.

I did not consider the Accutrack because they are fragile and that is a lot of money to drop off a roof. The Bird dog & the Superbuddy both addressed the dropping issue one way or another.

If you are only tuning your personal rig....peak the 101 and give a two degree poosh west unless tuning is worth $500.00 to $800.00 to you.

Joe

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That is the better question...When Directv started using the HD "sidecar" the reason the meters could not "see" the Ku signal from the 99 & 103 was they had not yet been launched or turned on for service. Techs were supposed to guess where the new birds would be and tune fir them.

I always assumed meters would catch up once there was a signal to "see" but it never happened. Is it a technical reason or marketing of the meters? I don't know either.

Good question?
    Anybody?

Joe

6. k0rww

k0rww Legend

Aug 20, 2006
    St. Louis
    Hi Joe,

You're right, $500-800 is way too much for a meter for my own use.

I would like to understand the difference between the signals coming off the LNB for 101 vs. 103 for example.

Thanks for your responses.

7. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I have a supperbudy use three times, retired. Take 500.