1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Meter / Satellite Number Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bbohl, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bbohl

bbohl New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I have a question about signal strength, which satellite a channel is receiving the signal, and the signal meter. I have been assuming a few things that hopefully someone can confirm or set me straight.

When you goto a certain channel, press info twice, you will see in the upper left corner a satellite number. This is the satellite that the channel is receiving the signal from correct?
    When you goto a certain channel, then go to the signal meter (menu-6-1-1), this meter is testing the signal for the specific satellite and transponder/spotbeam for that channel correct?
    This only applies if my assumptions are correct. I have 2 vip622 receivers. If I goto a TV for receiver 1, do one of the above, goto a TV for receiver 2 (and the same channel), shouldn't they show the same satellite # if everything was setup properly?

Reason why I am asking, is I noticed for my local Fox HD channel (and other local hd) will show up on 129 with a puny signal of around 20 whereas as the other receiver will show it at 61.5 with a much better signal around 80. I always have signal issues with rain and recently snow. It seems like one of the receivers looses the signal more quickly and I am wondering if this is a clue why.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish's system was not designed to have both 129 and 61.5. A large percentage of the programming on them is duplicated, so because you have both in your system, the receiver could grab either signal for a channel that is available from both.

What you need to find out is: where do your local HD channels come from? If they don't come from 129, then you need to get rid of your 129 signal (might require a different dish and LNB). If they do come from 129, then you need to get your signal adjusted or LOS issues resolved and probably get rid of 61.5.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You may be seeing a HD signal from 129 and a SD signal from 61.5. Tuner 2 is SD output only, you have an unusual setup with both 61.5 and 129.

4. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I believe Tuner 2 is capable of HD. The TV2 output is SD only but in single mode Tuner 2 is HD. The OP is using 2 622s and is seeing different sats on receiver 1 and receiver 2 while both are tuned to the same channel. I can't tell from his post which tuner the 2 receivers are on, if that in fact would make a difference. And he doesn't mention if they are in single or dual mode.

5. bbohl

bbohl New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    According to this chart, dishuser.org/dishlist.php, my local HD's are on 61.5, 118, and 129. Definitely looks like most HD is on both.

When they installed it in May, at first I was missing a bunch of channels. Then they came in, and without telling me, installed a second dish (I just happened to notice it one day mowing the lawn). I am thinking that is where 61.5 came from. I didn't have it at my old house, which is only a couple of miles away.

6. bbohl

bbohl New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Both receivers are in dual mode. Both are on Tuner 1.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You shouldn't need 61.5, then, unless you have no LOS to 129. If that's the problem, you've got to get them to swap out the dish so that you don't have a 129 LNB.

8. bbohl

bbohl New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Well I see if I go into system info 129 is yellow. Of course at the moment I have no signal from 119. There is a bit of snow on the dish from last night, but I swear it was working OK this morning (history channel standard def) and I assume the snow was there this morning too. 110 and 61.5 are green.

9. bbohl

bbohl New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I was able to get a tech out, a Dish employee not a sub contractor. Obviously I had a poor install. He said the dish was out of alignment. He was able to bump up the signal level across the board, including 129. He was not sure why they put in the second dish, but he felt it wasn't hurting anything so he left it (and because of conditions he couldn't really get rid of it anyway).