1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal strength call home threshold?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tallgntlmn, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Guys, does anyone know what the thresholds are for the receivers to call home in regard to signal issues? I experienced 771 errors this evening and there isn't a damn cloud in the sky. I am convinced there is an aiming issue that DirecPath does not want to fix. I don't really want to put up my own dish but if I can't even sit here and watch a football game, something has to be done. I am wondering if somehow my signals would be at the point of calling home and saying something. Anyone know how bad it has to be?

I can post the signals if I need to but that's a lot of typing. :)

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Why can't you call DirecTV & have them fix you up?

3. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, because I get better answers here for one thing. :) Y'all don't read scripts off a screen and tell me to RBR.

The second reason is I am in a MDU and DirecPath handles the installation. The installer gave what I deem as a complete BS answer as to the signal level. He said "because it is amplified so many times and so much, we can't boost it for reasons of interference and what not." That's paraphrased of course.

I see there are 4 SWM8's on a FMC-6M in the room where the drops come down. From there it comes into a band stop filter to a MDU-3XFLTR0-09 to a SWS-STR4 to my HR22 and H24. Both receivers fail the signal test.

I fail to see a reason my signals are so low on a clear night. I could understand if there was rain or t-storms to the SW. The 101 levels are fine, all high 90's. Sat 99(s) is all 0's except 1, 2, 4 and those are 42,30, 42 respectively. Sat 103(s) is all 0's except 15(62), 19(74), 20(81), 23(69), 24(76). Sat 103ca ranges from 58-75 with most in the 60's. Sat 103cb ranges from 36-59. Sat 99c ranges from 34-70. SWM is all high 90's.

Decided to watch signal due to 771's while watching just now. My LILs are on 103 TPN 20 and it sits at 82 and drops out to 0 a few times and comes back to 81 or 82. When I had my SL3 at my old place this TPN was sitting on 92.

So I am wondering if I am in the range where the receivers would call home and say the signals are low. I have no confidence in this installer I have had out here twice. When he hooked up MRV, he said I could do the trick where you hook the DECA to a switch and then to receiver and whatever else. We all know that will work for broadband but is not supported. To me, he should have held company line like he did with me trying to beg for a HR24. If I am not in that range and it is advisable to call them again I will but I don't want to. They might try to charge me and I don't want to pay.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Do you have a ladder, cell phone, wrench, and a buddy to help? I think you see where I am going with this...

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I think the acceptable minimum is 70, but most people try to get in the 90's. The (s) satellite are spotbeams, so they will be all over the place for everyone. Just call Directv and tell them you are losing signals on your HD channels during very light rains. You don't have to tell them your signal strengths, but if they ask, just give them some of the low numbers (34/36).

:)

6. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Not good, considering I have no roof access even if I had the ladder. But yes, I see what you're saying. That's unfortunate.
    I will probably do that. This morning yet again, 771's on a LIL and the sky is clear. They will get a call this evening. I won't make that call while at the office. I need to call DirecTV anyway; NFLST is just too expensive for me anymore. Guess I should go read that thread, eh?

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The problem is that DirecTV won't touch an MDU dish; that's the MDU provider's issue. Being in a registered MDU, DirecTV simply sends low signal reports to the MDU and that is the end of their involvement. You really need to persue this more with DirecPath.

8. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    To the OP...

Just for checking to make sure that it isn't a problem in your dwelling, could you check the tightness of all the connectors from the wall to any and all of your receivers? A loose connection could do it, especially if the temperatures change over time.

9. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    BZ, I know you know quite a bit here. Does the installer's "excuse" for low levels hold water? I think he was full of BS and just too lazy, doesn't have access to the roof, or doesn't have a meter in order to fix.

I figured as much as it being a DP issue. If this is typical, I can see why people have such disdain for them. I will give them a call just for fun. I cannot possibly bear a football season full of 771's. I don't want a dish on my patio but I might have to if I can't get this resolved.
    I know they are tight on the triplexer and 4 way. I will check others. If I knew which were my drop, I might go into the room and swap SWM8 ports just for fun. Yeah, the room is unlocked or the door is broken. LOL!

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Who oversees the contract for DP? I'd get them involved and/or call another MDU provider. Your 99 / 103 signals are unacceptable.

If you can get a single coax through your wall without major hassle, I'd go with the dish on the patio.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, it doesn't, at least, not in a properly-designed system.

Most likely problems:

- Dish isn't aimed properly
    - LNB is bad
    - Dish reflector or LNB arm damaged

It is *possible* but unlikely that the problem has to do with the distribution (they're using signal amps, but may not know how to use them properly). But I'd bet you could take a receiver, hook it straight up to the dish, and get just about the same readings.

12. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I could do the dish on the patio. I'd just rather not. I still have my SL3 but do not have the 2"pole or foot. I am not sure who would oversee the contract.
    I wish I could. Hell, I'd probably re-aim it while I were up there.

The more I think about it, the more I think I will call in the next 45 minutes. I don't know if I (or they) want me to simmer on this any longer. I can simply say 771's with no clouds in the sky is unacceptable.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's my understanding that muffler shops have 2" pipe. I'd drop by one. . . have them drill a hole about 6" from one end for a thru-bolt in a 10' piece, stop by HD and get a couple bags of sakrete, a 8" galvanized bolt and a couple of nuts for the thru-bolt, some RG6 / connectors / tool -- and a set of post hold diggers and level if you don't have them.

Saves on your blood pressure!

14. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    If I were going to put mine back up, I'd get one of the feet for the wall/roof mounts and screw it to the balcony floor. Then two screws into the pole and hose clamp the pole to the balusters. Heh, notice I didn't say 100 black zip ties? :) I would need a 2 way, a SWM LNB and a flat cable for HD to make it happen. I was careful when I disassembled everything so it should be fairly accurate if I need to put it up.

I decided to wait until I get home so I can go through their troubleshooting steps and what not just to humor them.

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    In general, that's actually simpler than digging the hole and sakrete!!

Let us know what you do.

16. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Got a truck roll for Thursday. Maybe this guy will go through satellite setup and see red on everything but 101 and figure there is a problem. I asked the CSR to note I want someone with a meter who can check the signals at either the dish or the SWM. The problem with my issue is it is intermittent. It is happening right now as I type but did not the entire time I was on the phone with him. RBR probably did that. Just in case it is my HR22, I am going to watch the H24 as much as I can tonight. But the H24 fails the sat test too.

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe more than 1 building unit is on the same SWiM and you exceeded the number of tuners for that SWiM. People in [strike]MDU's[/strike] mdu's tend to self install without advising the sysop because they don't want to pay the install fee and "overtuner" their SWiM. I've seen this dozens of times in another life.

Check with other people in other units. If EVERYONE is having the same issue it's obviously a building issue and going on the roof more than likely won't help. There could be a lot of "stuff" between the roof and your unit.

18. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I had thought about that issue with the SWM. I can't find my drop in the room. It may not be labeled (which seems typical from what I've seen). If I could find it, I might be tempted to put it on a different SWM. It appears that the buildings here are divided. On my side of the building there are at least 2 dishes visible. Each segment appears to have 2 of them. They appear to be SL5 dishes from the parking deck.

My plan at this point is to have them check the signal in the room, put me on a different SWM, take me off any splitters out there, and get the darn signals at least to where mine were when I had a SL3. It's really the HD birds that are bad. The 101 is fine. I am hoping for a different tech. If so, I will be begging him for a HR24 as well. I was hoping to have my PI for the DECA on the router but FedEx says Saturday for that. :(

19. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, we shall see tomorrow. The guy just left and even though I asked for a different tech, it was the same one. No wonder he cannot fix it up. His meter cannot read 99 and 103. He had his boss on the phone talking about 101 and I was like "I don't care about 101, all I watch is HD."

There is supposed to be another person coming out tomorrow to analyze the signals at the dish and SWM for 99 and 103 and possibly replace some equipment. Seems the theory is possibly an LNB or a PI somewhere in the chain. So we'll see. I am hopeful but not convinced yet. It is me and one other on the SWM that serves me so it shouldn't be overloaded unless he has more than 5 tuners.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It doesn't matter that the tech's meter can't read 99 or 103. Most meters can't. There is a procedure for properly peaking the dish that would work just fine with his meter. If he doesn't know how to follow that procedure, he has no business working as a DirecTV tech.

But, again, I'm pretty sure you're getting a tech sent from the MDU provider, as DirecTV normally does not send their own internal techs to MDU locations.