1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Strength with SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Lee, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1 of 13
    Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I was checking out my mom's new D* installation and am trying to figure out if something is wrong with her setup. She got a SWMline5 dish, HR22, H21, and D12. When I check the signal strength on the HR22, it shows all zeros for many of the satellites on one tuner but it seems random. Sometimes when I scroll through and check the same satellite the strengths will pop up to ~90. I also noticed there is a "SWM" satellite listed so maybe that's the only one that is important. Anyway, I am just wondering what I really need to be looking at on there since this is my first experience with the SWM.

As far as I can tell, all her HD channels are working fine. I don't think I checked any SD channels. Also, the HR22 is on the 0290 software.

Also, thanks for all the great info on here, I have been lurking for over a year since I first got my D* setup.

2. Nov 4, 2008 #2 of 13
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Is there any pattern to the zero signals commonly showing on the same satellite/ transponder combo? If so, check here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=140519

Use the transponder to channel map to find two channels on the same zero-strength transponder and record both of them simultaneously. If that works without any errors, then I’d say it’s a just a software issue and a real signal problem. If not, you could have an LNB going bad.

As for the “SWM” LNB strengths, there are nine virtual transponders that show the signal strengths for the actual transponders the SWM is routing. The SWM can route up to unique 8 transponders, plus one that is always locked-on to guide data. Any zeroes there just mean that there are less than eight unique actual transponders being requested. Since you have only four tuners, you will probably only see five transponders in use at any give time, and maybe less depending on how many unique transponders are being requested.

3. Nov 4, 2008 #3 of 13
    Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Thanks Rodney for the reply. There's no common pattern to the zero signals, in fact they showed up as ALL zeros on 99 and 103, which I admit were the only two I paid attention to. As I scrolled through the list of satellites I noticed the SWM listing as I mentioned, then went back to the 99 and 103 where they showed normal (non-zero) values. I'll check them again next time I am over at her house. I did check a good number of channels afterwards and they all came in perfectly, in fact it tuned much faster than any my HR20 boxes on a slimline-5.

To be honest I wasn't really thrilled with the installer anyway because I noticed he did not ground anything on the whole system. The messenger wire is run from the dish to the grounding block, then there are absolutely no other ground wires installed. I have the supplies to finish the grounding myself but I certainly did not have that lazy of an install by the tech at my house.

4. Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Okay so I finally got some time with her HR23 again. Here's the deal:

Signal strengths on 101 are around 70 for both tuners.

Signal strengths on 99(c) and 103(c) are around 60 for tuner 2.

Signal strengths on 99(c) and 103(c) are ALL ZERO for tuner 1.

I know the low signals on the 101 mean that the dish definitely needs to be realigned. My real question is, why are the 99 and 103 signals not working for tuner 1? I tried a RBR and I tried unplugging for about 5 mins.

5. Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    What am I missing here? If this has been asked and answered before, I apologize. I didn't turn up anything in a search.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would first align the dish to get these higher. 101 will/should go up too.
    Then if tuner #1 is zero, I'd be looking for a replacement.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree...because SWM signal strengths are as good as, if not very slightly better than, regular signal levels.

8. Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Okay, I will see what I can do with the dish.

9. Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Just as an update on this, I finally got to look at this again over the weekend and realized that the cables were swapped on the SWS-8 power passing ports. Meaning, the cable from the dish was connected to the red OUT port and the cable from the PI-21 was connected to the red IN port! Thanks alot, D* guy. Anyways, after I pulled these off and connected them properly, the signal strengths are now 95+ for both tuners. I'm glad I happened to check this before I spent hours trying to peak that dish!

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    wow, I would not have thought to verify that. thanks for posting that.

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    That's a big mistake. Thank god the tuner didn't burn out. I wonder how he even activated with those #s.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Does she have a swm8 or a slimline 5 a PI29 should be used on a swm8 and a PI21 on a Slimline 5?

13. Lee

Lee New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    SWMline-5