1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Signal test vs. system test

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Rob1956, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Rob1956

Rob1956 Cool Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi Everyone:
    I have an old Phillips DSR-708 DVR that only gets used May to Nov each year and seems to be healthy except for this situation. When checking the signal levels, it reads a solid 93 on Sat In 1 and a sold 89 on Sat In 2. Ok. Then when I do a system test, it reads Sat In 1 as 93 and Sat In 2 as 0. What? I do get the dreaded "Searching for signal on Sat 2" box, and have tried 3 different cable sets from the dish to the box and get the same result. I've tried all 4 of the dish's outputs to Sat In 2 and get the same result. When switching cables on the 708 the problem moves over to "Searching for signal in Sat In 1", but still signal strength says 89 and system test says 0. Can anyone offer a reason for all this?
    Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I can't help with your specific problem but
    I feel you should call DTV and tell them about it and they will probably send you an updated model number of receiver to replace it with.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It sounds to me like tuner 2 is dying.

I had that model TiVo and that was my experience with that unit. I was able to milk it out a little longer by switching to the coax out to the tv instead of composite out. I don't know why that worked but it did.

After a while, tuner 2 crapped out all together and DIRECTV replaced it with a HR21 for free. YMMV.