1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signature check

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1 of 19
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I used to joke at the grocery, self service checkout lines that soon, their card authorization was going tell them that the signature doesn't match. Well, we seem to be approaching that point. Yesterday, the signature pad screen demanded that the customer repeat her signature, with the attendant being electronically summoned to compare the signatures. :eek:

2. Mar 5, 2012 #2 of 19
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would say it's about time.
    At the grocery store, I get about three letters into mine and it says "OK" :nono:

3. Mar 5, 2012 #3 of 19
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sig authentication is not (yet?) a part of shopping in my area, locally, and I hope it never is. Occasionally, I let my housekeeper, who is a trusted friend, use my debit card to shop for me. To have her be rejected would be embarrasing for her, and problematic for me. Hell, my own sig using a stylus on a pedestal-mounted card-reader wouldn't be recognized. I hope this never comes my way.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #4 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Was it an Amex card?

Rich

5. Mar 5, 2012 #5 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Most of the pads are so bad that I don't think I could sign with any degree of legibility even if I tried, let alone enough for the system to see a match.

I sometimes go very old school and sign with an X. Other times a smiley or just a line.

6. Mar 5, 2012 #6 of 19
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Where are they getting the signature from to compare?
    None of my cards have signatures on them but rather an tamper evident sticker notifying them to check ID.

7. Mar 5, 2012 #7 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All my cards have a place for signatures.

Rich

8. Mar 5, 2012 #8 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Technically I believe a card is invalid if it's not signed.

There is a very small signature on Ohio drivers licenses under the picture.

9. Mar 5, 2012 #9 of 19
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I do as well but rather than signing, I put a tamper evident sticker over the space telling the clerk to see state issued ID.

10. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Yes, I believe both MasterCard and Visa mandate the cards should be properly signed in order for them to be accepted. Oddly enough, it was an employee at our bank who first suggested we do this. I have heard this a number of times since then from financial advisors to personalities such as Clark Howard.
    The main thing is if you are going to use this method that you must either write it on the back of your card using a permanent marker or get some tamper evident labels made up telling someone to check.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. Merchant's are not supposed to accept the card unless it has been signed.

In a legal note, if the card is stolen/lost and is found in someone else's possession and the card is not signed it is very hard to make a legal case against that person. Most states have a law that a person with two or more signed credit cards in their possession that are not in their name is prima facie evidence that the cards are stolen.

That being said, I sign my cards and then next to the signature I write "Check ID". That way if the clerk actually does their job in verifying the signature on the receipt matches that of the card, they will then ask for my ID as a secondary check.

- Merg

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Correct.

When I used to work in retail/restaurants, if the CC had "see ID" or a tamper evident sticker or anything else, we wouldn't accept that card.

On a side note, I almost always just quickly swipe a horizontal line on those signature pads.

13. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That would be easy. I'm sure it sends back the signature for processing at their end.

The first time you sign on one of those screens, and maybe every time after that they can build a database of your signatures for comparison.

The reason for using several would be to build a composite to compare against IMO.

14. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I do the same and occasionally it will get rejected. However, I think that's more related to the line not being long enough or some other technical glitch. Because when it asks again, I just draw another longer line and it always lets it through.

Sometimes the cashiers will notice the non signature and say something. I always tell them if my card ever gets stolen, you'll know the bad purchases because they will be the ones that actually have a signature.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The signature pads here don't even ask for a signature for low dollar sales (under $25?). I suspect that the merchant is processing the cards under the same rules that allow non-signed non-pin transactions at gas pumps, parking meters and other places without a signature pad.

I sign my cards but the signature usually wears off within a year.

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You don't have to have a signature for less than $25 anywhere, but it's up to the policy of the particular merchant - I'm sure there's some stores near you that require a signature for everything. As to gas pumps, I believe they're now required to ask for the zip code in lieu of a signature.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I've bought gas recently without a zip code. I have had to give it in areas where there is more fraud. Certainly not every pump.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My signature on those things are the worst.

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I do not think I have ever signed one the same way twice nor does it look anything like my signature or a signature at all for that matter.

Lately, I have even allowed my two year old to sign the pad for me.