1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signed up today, install set for 1/2/12, now its tomorrow?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mynameisjason, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Long time lurker of the site.

Finally decided to jump to DirecTV. Order the system online this afternoon (HR34 and 2 HD receivers). Couldn't schedule appt. for install online, so I called. Did the automated system, and the earliest was next Thursday (12/29) in the afternoon, didn't work for me at the time. Next time that worked for me was 1/2 in the morning.

Fast forward to this evening, and I find out that Thursday would work. So I decide to call and see if the timeframe is still open. Now it it telling me that it is tomorrow between 6-8AM!! :eek2:

I figure that can't be right, and get a live person. Yep, he sees the 1/2 appt. but the computer changed it to tomorrow. The guy was super nice and asked if that was okay (it is). He gave me a different 800 number to call if they don't show up. He was just stumped about the 6-8am install time as well. :lol:

Sorry for the long post but this kinda threw me for a loop. :lol: Is something like this normal or should I not be looking for anyone?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    6AM? Wow. Let us know what happens.

3. mynameisjason

Dec 21, 2011
    Oh I will! No clue how the guy will get a dish up before 8am seeing it doesn't start getting light until 7:45ish right now.

4. dclarke

dclarke AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    some guys are better at getting it up in the morning than others, maybe it will be your lucky day

5. mynameisjason

Dec 21, 2011
    Well, as of this post, I haven't heard anything from an installer. Gonna give them till 9 and then gonna call. Just to see what is up.

6. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Maybe their earlier appointment ran long :D

7. mynameisjason

Dec 21, 2011
    Oh yeah! Those 3-6am installs run over time! :lol:

Seriously, called D* spoke to a rep. He said they don't do installs at that time of the morning, because it is called "nighttime" out. :hurah: Seems the computer had an error and in my area 6 installs were made for 6-8am today.

He said the earliest he could do was tomorrow from 8am-12noon. Which is fine by me. Then he gave me a $120 credit at $10 a month off my bill because of the mistake. I did not expect that. More than impressed with DirecTV so far. They did not need to do that, computers mess up.

8. Stewpidity

Stewpidity Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    seems a little early, I drive by the local Directv installer building every morning and they are just loading up at 8am

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Whoooosh! :lol:

10. mynameisjason

Dec 21, 2011
    Well, install is not happening today. :(

Heard from the installer right at 8:00am, he isn't trained to do the HR34 install, and the 6 guys that are trained are busy today. He said that they could get someone out tomorrow morning to get it in.

Kinda feel bad for someone having to do an install Christmas Eve day.

11. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Remember: Tipping is a good thing.

12. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    The guy that did my install did it on a Sunday. He said Sunday was a regular working day for him. I felt bad for the guy so I gave him a tip. I told him that I would like to buy him lunch.

BTW, Christmas Eve is usually a regular working day for most everyone, depending on the day. This year it's on a Saturday, but Saturdays are a regular working day for a lot of people. Even for those that work at night.

13. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Maybe you can get another $10 off a month for this additional mistake! Pretty soon they will be paying you each month.

14. mynameisjason

Dec 21, 2011
    Haha.

Got a phone call about 9:50 from a supervisor, saying that someone could be at my place between noon and 2pm. Took him up on it. Just about noon two guys came and by 2:30 they were gone. Very nice & professional guys. Super happy with the service from DirecTV.

Man, the HD receivers are super small. Holy crap.

15. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    And super fast too. and when you get the HD GUI rolled out to you it is even faster!

16. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    just in time for the price increase :lol:

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He probably got the promotional rate for the 1st year, so he won't see an increase for a year.