1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signing up with Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    A friend of mine wants to sign up with dish and noticed it says you lease the receivers now. He just wants a basic receiver and to use a 721 he bought off ebay. Can he do this or does he have to get all receivers through Dish??

He'd rather use the 721 to avoid the DVR charges vs. getting a new 625 model.

2. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    As long as he owns the 721 and there is no balance on it he can put it on his new account no problem. If there is a balance he will need to pay that before E* will activate it.

3. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Also, do 721s and 508s work ok with the Dish 1000? I know some older receivers had issues.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Remember the 721 is a dual tuner receiver it will need two inputs connected. If he is ordering a new system from DISH to get the free install he will need a DPP Twin with only 1 receiver or a system that requires a DP-34 switch. To get the 1000 he will pretty much have to order a HD receiver, that will come with the DPP Twin though.

5. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I know the 721 does, I have one connected to my Dish1000. You can even use the DPP Seperator and only have to feed one cable from the Dish1000 to the 721. I believe the 508 will work fine as well. When I had my 501, virtually the same as a 508, I had it plugged into a DP34, and I know that all receivers that are Dish Pro (DP) compatible are also Dish Pro Plus (DPP) compatible. According to the Dish1000 manual you can even hook up legacy receivers into output 2 as long as you have a DP or DPP receiver hooked into output 1 (my guess is to supply power).

The long and the short, from everything I've seen and read you can hook up a 721 and a 508 to a Dish1000 using a DPP Twin LNBF.

6. Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller Cool Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I would tell him to get two Dish 500s and forget the Dish 1000. Have him get a DPP twin and a DP dual. Run the DP dual into the DPP and one (or two) lead(s) from the DPP to his receiver(s). You'll be able to align the dishes better and get better signal out of the lame 129 bird using 2 dishes

7. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    Really this depends on where he is located. For us on the Left Coast this is absolutely true, especially us up in WA and OR. If your in the midwest from what I've seen the signal difference isn't as much, nor are the dropouts, on a properly aligned Dish1000, as much of an issue, if at all.

However, something about the 129 location (the 3rd slot of a Dish1000) that I meant to put is my original reply is, all the content there right now is HD, neither the 721 or 508 are HD so right now there would not be a single channel on 129 that these receivers would be able to display. Really your friend could get away with a Dish500, unless his locals or additional programming that he wants is on one of the other locations, i.e. 61.5.

8. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Actually some of the additional locals in our area are on 129 now. Will these remain on 129 or will they be put on the new 110 satellite eventually??

9. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Rob, I have to disagree. 129 off the Dish 1000 in Central Oklahoma is 20 points lower than 110/119, and VOOM channels (like Monsters) drop off even in moderate rain, where the 110/119 channels don't.

Lucky for us :)eek:), we've been in a drought for almost a year now, so rain fade hasn't been much of an issue. When that changes, the hollering will begin.

10. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    I agree the signal strength is lower, and that you can get a slight perfomance increase, from what I've seen it's usually less than 10 points. However, the half a dozen or so members I've exchanged information with in the midwest, do not show the 30 - 40 point drop offs in signal every 30 - 45 minutes that most of us up here in the northwest are seeing, regardless of weather. i.e on Sunday I was watching the signal, nice sunny day here, and the signal would go from 72 down to 38 for no apparent reason. Drops like this happened 3 times over a 2 hour period. I was watching transponder 30 on the 129 location.

Something else I want to add, dialing in a Dish1000 to get peak performance from all LNBFs does not seem to be as easy of a task as it is for a Dish300 or Dish500. Just polling members in the Seattle WA area we have average signals on 129 ranging from 50 - 70. There really shouldn't be this kind of range if everyone has their Dish1000 setup correctly. I know for me personally dialing in my 129 to where I believe it's about as good as it's going to get took me 3 attempts, making very very minor corrections until I found the sweet spot for all LNBFs, Just following the instructions to peak 119 did not work for me. I know of members near me that had professional installs and are no where near my signal strenths and I know of others that have just slightly higher signal strengths (i.e. my neighbor just got his and he averages about 2 - 3 points higher than me, but still has the massive droputs).

Will you have droputs on 129 where you live with a Dish100? Maybe, Maybe Not. Will a seperate Dish500/300 pointing at 129 keep you from having dropouts? More likely than a Dish1000, but dropouts are still possible. Personally if it was me, and you were getting it professionally installed I'd get a Dish1000, then if you expierence droputs I'd call back and say the installation was bad and that you need the droputs fixed and at that point have them add a second Dish.

As for 129 SD locals, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there were any of those out there. Next time I'll make sure I check the EKB first ;)

11. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm thinking of getting back to Dish (even though I can get only one hd-dvd and that too have to pay $300). I also want 121 for some internationals.

1. What dishes should I get ? The installers are suggesting superdish and another wing dish.

2. Can you suggest a good installer in the seattle area.

Edit :

3. One of the installers was saying all the 121 south asian channels will be replicated (i.e. moved) soon. Does anyone know about this ?

Thanks.

12. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    I am a dish tech and I can tell you first hand 1000's don't hold up in strong winds.. The skew plates seperate... The Super dishes are junk 121's and 105's.. I am so glad the old trusty 500's are almost back in buissness for all.. In my opinion, one five hundred dpp twin- second dp dual will be perfect..
    Seperator

13. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    As far as Dishes, Dish500's are probably your best bet. The Dish1000 up here just doesn't cut it as well as separate dishes. I'm still using a Dish1000 for 110/119/129, but I'm still having dropouts on 129. I'm in the camp that believes that this will be fixed, eventually. So, as long as it's not affecting my ability to watch shows that I regularly watch, and it's not (I don't watch the current MPEG-4 129 channels that much), I'll leave things as they are. Now, if they decided to put the Seattle HD Locals on 129, I'd get a 2nd Dish up in a heartbeat.

As for installers, I don't know. I haven't had one out in many many years.

As far as the 121 channels moving, I believe that is going to happen eventually, but I have no idea what the timeline is. I think DISH wants to get everything off the SuperDISH birds, but I don't know where.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Dish appears to be loading up 61.5 and 148 with internationals. The 121 satellite is tuned to a different frequency and an antenna set up for that (or 105), won't work with anything else.

An advantage that 148 would have in your neck of the woods is that there are a couple of obscure locals on 148.

15. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    If you have a line of site on the 61.5 (which would be tough) I would say get a dish 1000 and a 61.5 wing. Otherwise I don't know where they would move the International stuff (other than 61.5)

Then you would get a 121 superdish and a wing for the 129.

16. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    Considering the problems people seem to have with 129, I think a superdish (to get 121) and a separate dish for 129 would be okay ? This is what installers and dishnetwork itself are going to give. BTW, installers wanted an extra $100 for the extra dish - but dishnetwork is giving that free. So will probably order thr' dish network directly.

In west coast its very difficult to get 61.5 ... so we normally use 148 (as you probably know). So, if internationals move out of 121, they would go to both 61.5 and 148.

BTW, I used to have dish for about 5 years before I dropped it when I moved to a new home about a year back.

17. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    But to get all four sats, won't I need one more dish ? Can two 500s get all the four sats I need ....

BTW, I want 129 to be strong and non-dropping, I don't care if 121 drops once in a while.

18. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    While we are here - I've one wiring question.

I've structured wiring in the house (new !) and use cable internet - which I'll continue after switching to dish. The cables need to be brought to the "switch board" from crawl space. There is a pipe from the attick to the crawl space. Being a new house the attic has no flooring.

Will the dish installers get the cable to the attick and then thr' crawl space to the switch board ? Or is that all extra money ?

19. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    Would you run the cables like that for a hundred dollars or so? I realize this is probably the ideal way to do it. But we are not paid hourly. We are flat rated per job so consider that when you set expectaions for a tech.
    It is not so much a matter of can they it is should they without extra charges.
    As you can tell I am a tech of five years. I have dealt with the most picky customers. I even did Micheal Jordans accountants install. 19 televisions. 30 million dollar home. But they were willing to pay for the extras.
    I mean a hundred for the whole install.. Not just for cable routing. And you as a new connect customer, your install would be free. So be realistic.
    Want it that way? go buy yourself a box of rg6 and run 6 cables to your board from the attic..

20. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    You, indeed are intimidating ;)

As to how much anyone should be expected to work for a certain amount of money ... I guess that depends on your politics. I know there are a lot of people working long hours at low wages to make ends meet - I hope we all start paying more for everything so that they can all make a living wage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.