1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Since Dish has the Weatherscan should Directv get it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mkdtv21, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1 of 26
    mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    The Weather Channel is showing less and less weather and may eventually change the local on the 8's to a constant lower graphic with regular programming on and not the full screen graphics. I'm not sure if this is fact but I read about it on the twctoday forums. Since this is all happening I think Directv should offer the Weatherscan on there local channel lineups like what Dish is doing. I still think its important to get weather info on TV and not just on your phone or computer.

2. Sep 8, 2013 #2 of 26
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I think as time goes forward, the pressure would become less and less. No appreciable number of people will select one provider over another because they have Weatherscan. In an age where there is still bandwidth limitations on the satellites, even spotbeams, and demands for digital subchannels, I suspect there's not a high likelihood this will happen.

3. Sep 8, 2013 #3 of 26
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea I'll depend on my cell phone.

Thanks!

4. Sep 8, 2013 #4 of 26
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No thanks. Also, DirecTV doesn't need to do everything Dish does.

5. Sep 8, 2013 #5 of 26
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    No matter how Lame it is! :grin:

6. Sep 8, 2013 #6 of 26
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The new TV apps has a very good Weather module.

7. Sep 8, 2013 #7 of 26
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use the AccuWeather app on my phone. Found it just as my WeatherBug subscription ran out. Much better than the Bug, I think.

Rich

8. Sep 8, 2013 #8 of 26
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Since this is all happening"? So far all you have is a rumor ... not something that is happening. Also you are incorrect about DISH's carriage ... There are a handful of local markets (4) that have Weatherscan. It certainly isn't a wide offering. If you want DirecTV to offer Weatherscan "like DISH" you're asking them to add the local channel in four markets.

I don't know when DirecTV's contract with TWC comes up for renewal ... but if what you claim "is all happening" it would be a good thing for DirecTV to remind TWC why the channel is carried. TWC's push a couple of years ago to drop weather and play "weather related" movies (such as The Avengers - where the evil scientist had a machine that could control the weather) was pushed back by the carriers saying NO - and the threat that the channel would be dropped and replaced if forecasts were dropped. But that is a big if.

9. Sep 8, 2013 #9 of 26
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Someone must have had some extra salty Wheaties this morning.

1 person likes this.
  10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    what about a national weather scan for Directv and maybe even HD.

11. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    That's called "The Weather Channel"

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I prefer the new TV app, as you can easily go local as well.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Especially with the new HD app where in most cases you can see your own block on the local radar. They also give you the full text report from the NWS for severe weather alerts.

14. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    They just need to add weather nation

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Have you watched The Weather Channel recently? They rarely show weather. Weather on TWC is like music videos on MTV...

16. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    It's not just TWC. Basically, none of the channels show what they are named for anymore. In the search for better ratings, all specialty channels are playing any movie, show or sport that they think will increase viewership. SyFy has wrestling, Headline News isn't news in 30 minutes anymore and TWC is full of shows about flying planes, chasing tornadoes and such. The channel lineup has become a bunch of channels that you can ignore the name of and just look at the guide to see what is on because little of it has anything to do with the channel name anymore.

17. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    You'll know when the weather is really bad....you won't have a signal. :grin:

18. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    There are enough free weather apps (including from two of my local TV stations and one from The Weather Channel) available for Android and iPhone that I no longer rely on TV for weather information. My phone alerts me when there is a severe weather watch or warning, as do my local TV stations if I am watching TV. I no longer need The Weather Channel or Weatherscan.

19. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well maybe directv should drop them and go to an other weather Channel like dish did.

20. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    What channel is Weather Scan on?