1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Single lnb help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rushrush1, Mar 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rushrush1

rushrush1 New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I recently hooked up a single lnb 18 inch dish for a friend on his boat. He went this route due to cheap dish and I told him the 101 bird got most sd channels but no locals(Louisville ky sd locals on 119). He said that's fine , he didn't want the big slimline like I have, also wanted to spend as little as possible . While hooking it up this weekend him and his wife ask me , how will we watch the Derby? Now he wants locals even if just for the derby. My question is can I go to dishpointer and aim this single lnb and pick up 119.

Thanks
    Bo

2. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Not with the 18" dish. Needs 101 for guide data. Have him put up some rabbit ears for OTA if possible.

3. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    Yes, you can re-aim and receive 119, but why not get an old PhaseIII dish which capabilities of 101, 110 and 119. There are a number of those around and you may be able to obtain one for free from someone who has upgraded to Slimline for HD.

The Phase III fits the same mast as the 18 inch dish and is only slightly larger. It will give him 101 and 119 (110 has almost nothing now) full time.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    No, as wisegoat posted, you can't do that. All systems need to be pointed at 101 otherwise the receiver won't get the data needed to operate (not just guide data).

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Booting time each receiver start from 101W;

so, yeah better then Phase-III dish you'll not find !

6. rushrush1

rushrush1 New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks guys , I'll see if he wants to spend $ for phase 3.