1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single vs. double cables

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by waters212, Oct 15, 2009.

1. waters212

waters212 Mentor

Feb 18, 2007
    I am thinking of moving to another location within my town. Due to recently adding a receiver I think I am in the throes of another two year commitment. My question is when I move and the installer installs my DTV system in my new home, can he use the single wire setup or do I have to stay with the old two-wire method?

If it matters, at my new location I will have (4) HR23s, (2) HR20s, and (2)SD DVR80s.

Lastly, is (8) the max number of receivers I can get?

As always, thanks for your help!

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Your DVR80s are not SWM compatible, so you will need 2 lines per DVR at least to those. Supposedly, dual SWM8's with the SWM expander are supposed to be used for situations like yours, but since the SWM rules were just relaxed yesterday, most warehouses don't have the equipment to handle that yet, and would have to do a legacy install (2 lines per DVR). A month or two from now, you'd most likely get a SWM setup, running the 2 DVR80s from the legacy ports with dual lines.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I think you can replace one of the old SD dvr with a new HDdvr that you get free with the movers deal.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Also, note that the SWM solution can only handle 8 'tuners'. You have 16 in your list, and a few aren't SWM compatible. However, you could parallel two SWM8s to get 16 tuners plau have a total of 6 legacy ports for the DVR80s. Or get a 16 port standard multiswitch.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I thought those were discontinued and not used by DirecTV techs anymore.

- Merg

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That may be true, but I bet you could find one somewhere.
    The question is, would the installer use a customer supplied 6x16?
    Or maybe have the installer put in a paralleled dual WB68 system. Or parallel a WB68 with the SWM8 (which would also have to be user supplied).

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would say that an installer would be more willing to install a customer supplied SWM8 in parrallel with a WB68 as opposed to an 6x16.

- Merg

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Dual WB68's. But get a Sonara Power locker if possible :)
    Or a WB616.
    Or Dual SWM8's.
    Or a SWM8 and a WB68...
    :)